• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box

Trouble

NAXJA Forum User
Mine finally sprung a leak at the output shaft. The steering is also very difficult. Ive seend some info about a YJ box. I run the c-rock plates and just need a box to get this thing road worthy again. From what I understand I can use the 4 bolt YJ box with only installing 3 bolts for the time being. So is the YJ box the best upgrade for the price?

I think the cheapest, bolt on upgrade for the steering gear is putting in a gear from a 99 durango. There are quite a few write ups on it here, and it was a very easy install

A YJ box does not cost any more or less than a Durango box, I believe the durango box is 3 bolt but is more powerful than the stock box. The YJ box is 4 bolt and is also more powerful than the XJ box. Either one is an upgrade, I think the YJ box is more powerful though do to lower gearing. So with the YJ box you have to turn the steerign wheel more to get the same amount of movement you would out of a Durango or XJ box. I have a new 4 bolt YJ box waiting to be installed at home so I am no help with the install, as far as I can tell it is bolt on unless you make something to attach that extra bolt on the box.

Hey Erik, I have a spare XJ box I'll give you that shouldnt leak and works well, if you want it. It will buy you the time to research and get exactly what you want.

I have a new AGR box going into the heep and my current will become the spare.

I picked up a YJ box two days ago at autozone. it cost me about 20 bucks more than a stock XJ box... I'm running the Crok and will most likely just install it with the three bolts.

Not yet installed.

Cal- Thanks for the offer. Right now It seems to be holding fluid long enough to get to and from work. I think im gonna do the YJ AGR box since I can get a pretty good deal on it.

Back