• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hitch wiring...

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I bought a factory hitch from a '95 XJ for my '01. It came with the wiring harness.
Can this harness be adapted to an '01, and how does it connect?
TIA!

Yes and no :)
1. The hitch has 7 pins which are used with electrical brake controler
2. If you get the T tap in that taps into your lights you end up with 4 output wires which are for regular trailers... those splice in very easily into the harness (just play with the meter to determine which wire goes to which pin). Look at this page: http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/trailerlights.html for the pinouts (you're interested in the 7 pin car end picture). Btw, don't worry about the auxilary (#7) as that's pretty much unused...
3. To get the rest of it working, you need a brake controller which can be wired without much trouble (btw, you have one wire going from the front to the rear, I believe it will be blue and tagged as brake controller).
4. If you're doing a brake controller hookup (useful if you ever want to tow anything heavy) think about running another set of wires for a rear cigarette lighter :D
5. Relocate that damn receptacle to someplace else then the hitch (I'm gonna move mine into the bumper) as it's a ROCK magnet.... and I crushed the bracket into the receptacle and now I need to replace that as well....

Kejtar

Bill --

I think the direct answer is "No."

The Hoppy wiring kits at Wal-Mart and other outlets list '91 thru '96. I know the older ones are different, and I believe the wiring changed again in '97. The '95 wiring kit probably is not a direct fit. You could probably get it to work, but you would need wiring giagrams from both years to figure it out.

Back