• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift question

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i just put a 3" RC lift on my 88' xj(with the new leaf packs) and its not as high as i wanted it so now i want to do shackles on the back and spacers on the front. i know i will have to do a transfer case drop too. question- i want about 2 inches more, can i get this from shackles and spacers while still maintaining a stable ride. also will the shocks i got with my RC lift still be okay, since they are for the 3" lift? and what is the most you can drop the transfer case? will i have to maybe use shims too? thanks guys:flipoff:

Yeah throw a 1 3/4 spacer up front and an extended shackle in the rear. As far as stable...that depends might need an adj tracbar or relocation bracket and yes def a t case drop but might need SYE.

yeah, seems like with the 3" lift i have now my rear driveshaft is just bareley sitting in the transfer case spline, maybe 2 inches. do you think once i lift it 1.5-2 more inches it will be too short? and what about the shocks?

You will need new shocks with it. This is the same thing i am doing to my 91 now. You will also probably need longer control arms, adjustable track bar, and at the very least a tcase drop.

maybe i'll just extend the mounting points for the shocks i have now since they are brand new. if i just use some home made brackets i can raise the front bottom mount and drop the top rear mount. has anyone ever done something like this?

mitsumotors said:
anyone else know about the shocks??

Most likely you will have to replace them! They may limit your axel droop and do not forget brake lines! With your shocks off measure your shock mounts full compression to full droop. This way you know how much travel your suspension has and can buy shocks accordingly.

mitsumotors said:
how much can i drop the transfer case?

1 inch is the norm I think. I have SYE so I am not 100% sure.

mitsumotors said:
i guess if 1" drop is not enough i can put shims???

Yes, I have seen some T/C drops shimmed with washers. Not sure how safe that is but I have seen it.

ColoradoRaptor said:
Yes, I have seen some T/C drops shimmed with washers. Not sure how safe that is but I have seen it.
:puke:

I never understood the idea of lifting a Jeep or truck for more clearance and then dropping the TC-another thing to get stuck on a rock. one inch is a considerable difference in my book on a vital component. I would do it only temporarily if you need to.

91Woody said:
:puke:

I never understood the idea of lifting a Jeep or truck for more clearance and then dropping the TC-another thing to get stuck on a rock. one inch is a considerable difference in my book on a vital component. I would do it only temporarily if you need to.
Well, I may be droping the transfer case but the lift will allow me to put bigger tires, which will raise the transfer case back up:rof:

Back