• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny problem??

HogWash

NAXJA Forum User
I dont know what the problem is?I have had problems w/ this heep of mine ever since I lifted it.It is not wanting to stay in gear when you go over bumps in the road3-4 gears and if it does and you tap the break it down shifts im lost here besides thinking it is my Nuetral saftey switch:firedevil .Any insight,Oh its an AW4.Im totally lost on this one??????,Thanks in advance.

Pm me if you would like to get me directly

When you tap the brake, the torque converter is supposed to unlock. If you're cruising along normally and tap the brake with your left foot, the rpm will go up a few hundred rpm. Perhaps that's what you're calling a downshift?

The neutral safety switch doesn't have a contact that tells the trans computer when it's in (D), but it does have one for (3) and (1-2). I don't think a dirty NSS could cause sporatic downshifting. A misadjusted NSS could cause this. Any trouble starting with the shifter in park? Does it downshift if you wiggle the shifter? Search the forums for instructions on cleaning the NSS.

Also, a bad throttle position sensor (TPS) is a frequent culprit for odd shifting problems.

carnuck said:
taller tires too? That messes with the speed sensor.

It will change the speed sensor (on the xfer case). The trans computer is reading the output shaft speed so the shift points will still be based on engine rpm and throttle input.

-Chris

I did install a new tps a while ago ...about 2000 miles ago,also had the xcase rebuilt,new torque converter,new radiator????? still lost,im only running 31's????

lawsoncl said:
When you tap the brake, the torque converter is supposed to unlock. If you're cruising along normally and tap the brake with your left foot, the rpm will go up a few hundred rpm. Perhaps that's what you're calling a downshift?

The neutral safety switch doesn't have a contact that tells the trans computer when it's in (D), but it does have one for (3) and (1-2). I don't think a dirty NSS could cause sporatic downshifting. A misadjusted NSS could cause this. Any trouble starting with the shifter in park? Does it downshift if you wiggle the shifter? Search the forums for instructions on cleaning the NSS.

Also, a bad throttle position sensor (TPS) is a frequent culprit for odd shifting problems.

I do sometimes have trouble starting while its in park.I have to wiggle it and sometimes pull it just a little bit out of park ,not much,doesnt down shift while its driving if I wiggle it.Also were would I find out how and were the NSS is??

Ok so now I went ahead and cleaned up my NSS,and now im wondering,If your cruising along and tap your break just slightly do the rpm's jump up a little and is that normal,back up lights acctually really work like there suppose to.So if any one knows of this problem let me know,
Thanks in advance:eeks1:

Back