• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to Turbo a XJ

HotChiliRam

NAXJA Forum User
Well, my question is does anyone know how to install a turbo on a 4.6L XJ?. Recently I perform a stroker to 4.6L, the Jeep now has power and lots of torque, but I need a little more HP's at high RPM's for dune climbing. I have been thinkin to install the turbo in the passenger side but I'm not 100% sure.
I'm not an expert in this so any opinion is very welcome.

Thanks

why would u install it on the passenger side? The turbo would have to be on the drivers side because the manifold is on the side. First off u would need bigger injectors, fuel controller, custom manifold and downpipe and depending on ur strokers compression im guessing its not low compresion u would run low boost like 4psi. Plus it depends on what turbo u use. If u routed the turbo to the passenger side it would be a shit load of piping and in the end it was just create more turbo lag. Best would be off the manifold. Ur probably off going supercharger instead of turbo for cost and in depth of turbo knowledge and making ur own kit.

87manche said:
nitrous is your answer.
easy to install
use it when you absolutely need it.

I've been thinking about nitrous too. And they advertise that I can get almost 100hp without any modification.
I was thinking in installing the turbo in the passenger side because of space, I didn't want it low in the engine bay, that was the only reason.

If you go the route of nitrous be sure to put a nitro kill switch on the gas pedal. even leting off the gas before the bottle once can put a hole in a piston. It will be especially bad burning through a piston in the desert.

~Alex

pictures of NOS on an XJ or the consiquences of an inproperly tuned system?

~Alex

well..... NOS is a brand name. and i guess you dont want any pics.

1996cc said:
Peterson's 4 wheel and off road had an article on doing exactly this in this months mag.

I was gonna mention that but he beat me to it. It's actually for a supercharger not a turbocharger. (which would be better IMHO.)

Do a remote turbo- check out ststurbo.com, they actually work really well. Rock shield under the turbo, then make heavy wall round rock skids and run the turbo outlet through one of them and up to the motor. :)

alex22 said:
well..... NOS is a brand name. and i guess you dont want any pics.

NOS is a brand name but not the only company that makes Nitrous kits. NOS stands for Nitrous Oxide Systems. There is a multitude of products and manufacturers out there, so do some research.

I was thinking about the Nitrous Express kit, it had all safety switches to prevent engine damage. Plus it only works when actiivated and at WOT. The problem is that my engine don't like very high RPM's so I should tune the kit to work maybe from 3.000 to 4.500 RPM's.
What's wrong with N2O Kit's other than if you use them wrong you can make a HUGE hole in your piston or blow your engine?

Thanks for the reply's.

sts turbo isnt a good idea for offroad use because the turbo and all the piping are under the vehicle. U hit a rock and crack the putting or go in deep mud or sand and let off teh gas the turbo will suck it right in and the fan blades will be toast and or turbo bearings. Supercharger is the was to go for the 4l. If u had a 4cyl thats a different story for a turbo.

Apparently I will go N2O, It's a lot cheaper and I can use it whenever I want. I like how the Jeep drives with the stroker, so i don't need those extra ponnies on street or rocks, I just want them on some huge dune climbs that we have. I will do N2o and se what happens, maybe that's all I need.
I agree, the STS kt is not for 4wheeling because of the reasons that you said, the turbo is way too exposed.

Thanks for the reply's

Back