• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ and ZJ ECU

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Picking up a 98ZJ, going to convert it to a 5 speed/np242. I noticed when I did my key fobs with the chrysler scan tool that the ECU identified itself in our 97ZJ as a 98XJ ECU.
What I"m wondering is can I use a 98XJ ECU out of a 5 speed to eliminate the NSS and other AT sensor issues that trigger the CEL light. Trying to figure out if the ZJ and XJ ECU's are the same for the autos, if so it should hold true for the 5 speed. I already located a 93ZJ with a factory 5 speed thats totalled and am grabbing the clutch parts. Planning on it mostly for the fun factor.

RichP said:
Picking up a 98ZJ, going to convert it to a 5 speed/np242. I noticed when I did my key fobs with the chrysler scan tool that the ECU identified itself in our 97ZJ as a 98XJ ECU.
What I"m wondering is can I use a 98XJ ECU out of a 5 speed to eliminate the NSS and other AT sensor issues that trigger the CEL light. Trying to figure out if the ZJ and XJ ECU's are the same for the autos, if so it should hold true for the 5 speed. I already located a 93ZJ with a factory 5 speed thats totalled and am grabbing the clutch parts. Planning on it mostly for the fun factor.
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe ZJ's ECUs hold more information than XJ's do. They have the information center amongst other things, but I don't know how much work it would be to take that out of the loop, or if you'd even have to. Other than that, I'm not real sure why it wouldn't work, it is the same engine and management system for the most part.

Back