• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Long Arms - What's the complaint

3XJFamily

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at a longarm upgrade - I usually stick with RE stuff, I see a few "search about why people don't like Rubicon Express Long Arms" posts but searched every which way, and can't find anything.

Planning on the 4.5" XJLA. . .

Its usually ground clearance.

The RE long arm upgrade is $1006 retail. The TnT kit is $899 retail so its only $100 difference "retail" so price isn't really a valid arguement.

I have the RE kit and I like it alot. I didn't build a "rock crawler" but a good multi-purpose XJ and for that its great. Need EVERY bit of ground clearance get the TnT kit.

Only thing i see wrong with the TNT kit is that the driveshaft hangs down lower then the longarms, from the pics ive seen. Id much rather rub my arms on rocks then my driveshaft.

IDK I'm kinda fond of draging my shaft on the rocks... With the RK kit being high clearance would it protect the shaft?

STEVE! A fellow Abbevillian!

Also the RE kit is not compatible with most off the shelf sliders.

Before ya make up yer mind take a look at BDS!! Their kit is a true 4 link and has excellent ground clearance. The price is comparable to RE.

True about the sliders - that's been my biggest bug bear so far. Even though JCR said they made some - I ordered some and they didn't fit and JCR gave up answering my questions as to how to get it to work. There is someone on Naxja who has them installed but even he couldn't answer my questions. I can modify them with some work - but I shouldn't have to.

Other than that I am loving the kit - rides really well on my DD and I have over 40K miles on it in the last 16months. I haven't done any serious crawling in rocks or anything though. Anyways it seems in serious stuff you'll be dragging metal - whether its frame rails, rock rails, roof gutters, or quarter panels.

However I was a complete noob when I bought it and I didn't know anything about TnT or Clayton...

91 Jeep Project said:
How is saving $100 not a vaild arguement? I agree with everything else ya said.

When your spending that kind of money a $100 difference in price means very little. It is more about the product at that point!

Steve97TJ said:
Only thing i see wrong with the TNT kit is that the driveshaft hangs down lower then the longarms, from the pics ive seen. Id much rather rub my arms on rocks then my driveshaft.

How does the kit effect the drive shaft position? Do you mean during articulation? Do other kits make it easier to correct the pinion angle?
Billy

All the kits have castor/pinion adjustment.When comes to pinion(change/movement) my radius arms keep the pinion pointed at the transfer case thru-out the entire travel range!My slip-yoke only travels an 1/8".

91 Jeep Project said:
How is saving $100 not a vaild arguement? I agree with everything else ya said.

Well, I was comparing retail to retail. I think you might find a vendor willing to sell the RE stuff at a bigger discount than the TnT stuff, thats all.

But really when spending $1000 I am not sure $100 really matters a lot. I pay more at the pump for Chevron when Arco is right across the street. Not saying TnT is Arco because my good friend has TnT and its a nice kit. I see pros and cons to both. I would run either one.......problem is I picked up my RE long arm kit (complete) used for $1000. Couldn't pass it up.

ROBZ95Xj said:
spend a extra $100 on a quality kit like TNT or Clayton, as far as drie shaft hangin lower than the arms on a tnt kit, on a LP axle yeah but not on a HP30
What is wrong with Rustys when you have prob they send you parts for free. Guy told me he loved his LA, bushings were getting worn told Rustys and they shipped him to new bushings for free.

RCP Phx said:
Also the RE kit is not compatible with most off the shelf sliders.

Any info on what sliders it is compatible with? Or just one more reason to fab my own. . .

I can live with the clearance issue for what I'm building.

Retail price is NOT an issue, My RE vendor gives me a smokin' deal (I winch him back onto his wheels about every other month . . .), it'll be the cheapest option for me of everything listed.

Back