• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another new guy here.

kristuphir

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings all, I'm Chris and I live out in Lake Elizabeth in the high desert. Just picked up my first XJ - I've taken an interest in them lately and once all the gallons and gallons of information and trivia started soaking in, I had to have one. I come from late-80s BMW E30 3-series, so this is just continuing my appreciation of boxy things with bombproof straight-6 motors I suppose.

Since moving out to the desert recently, I've realized my house is completely surrounded with hundreds of miles' worth of trails, open desert, and OHV areas. So I wanted something cheap to start with, perhaps a little cosmetically challenged, that my girl and I could take offroad trips in and could maybe double as a DD for her while I steal her small, practical, fuel efficient and fun Honda Fit for my 110-mile-a-day commute, something not quite as impractical as the '74 F350 Supercab. I think I found it...

It's exactly what I wanted: 1987 Pioneer, Renix machine, oxidized but fancy two-tone paint, cool and reasonably clean maroon plaid interior, tow package, D44, skid plates front and rear, rear spare tire mount, AW4, NP231, looks to have been maintained decently. It runs and shifts fantastically, has enough body issues that I won't mind screwing up while learning to wheel, and is all complete.

It does have these options: Jeep® Missing Headliner™, Slightly Leaky Sunroof™, and most importantly, Occasional Mild Death Wobble (patent pending). Trying to track down that last one. The rear leafs are also about as springy as a sheet of heavyweight bond paper at 210K miles, so the first thing I'm gonna do is go through the suspension - figure out that shimmy and then order me up an RE 4.5 Superflex kit and some shocks. I figure that's a good kit from what I've heard - it's higher than I was going to go but it comes with so much stuff I want, and I figure maybe it'll keep me out of the inch-itis for a while. I think this thing will be a joy to drive and wheel with that and some decent 31s on there replacing all the old worn-out stuff.

Anyway, here's a quick night shot. I know, I know, stock XJ, woo-hoo.

This site is amazing! Totally overwhelming, the amount of stuff available for these things. And parts you can buy over a counter? Unheard of!

new_xj.jpg

welcome to the obsession man :D see ya in the dirt! dont miss the high desert meet n greet this saturday, come meet some new friends, im the only one who bites ;) (as far as i know of anyway:D)

Welcome! Loads of fun and learning lie ahead along with sleepless nights wondering which parts to order and whether or not the wife will get mad about these ones.(or that could just be me) Haha :)

It's nice to see someone who can spell and has decent punctuation :). Welcome to the best money pit ever! I bought mine about a year ago and have had an absolute blast exploring and meeting these whackos on here ;).

The kit you are thinking of getting will keep you happy for a long time, a great name brand with quality components, and the 4.5 inch height is perfect for most applications, fits a 33" tire with minor trimming, and turns heads on the freeway, especially if it's muddy.

At that height you also have the option of going up 2 inches more in the future if you find the need to, using lift pucks and shackles.

Anyhow, welcome to NAXJA :).

Whoa, two invites out already :). Unfortunately I'll be out of town this weekend, but I'm looking forward to meeting folks and getting pointers as to what this stuff's all about.

Skwerly said:
It's nice to see someone who can spell and has decent punctuation :). Welcome to the best money pit ever! I bought mine about a year ago and have had an absolute blast exploring and meeting these whackos on here ;).

Yeah, the flipside of that is that I tend to get a little verbose at times, but just as long as no one falls asleep, I'm good. Whassa matter, u dont like it wen ppl talk 2 u like this and have no comunicashin skilz lol?

I've not spent a dime on it yet and I already feel broke. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it from snowballing into a cash landslide, but we all know how that works.

kristuphir said:
Yeah, the flipside of that is that I tend to get a little verbose at times, but just as long as no one falls asleep, I'm good. Whassa matter, u dont like it wen ppl talk 2 u like this and have no comunicashin skilz lol?
Wow....I think you're my new best friend. Typing skills on here drive me crazy. I type with three fingers and still manage to find the time to use a little grammar and proper spelling. :D

JohnX said:
Wow....I think you're my new best friend. Typing skills on here drive me crazy. I type with three fingers and still manage to find the time to use a little grammar and proper spelling. :D

I was thinking the same thing. This place drives me nuts sometimes.

Look at Skwerly with the proper use of commas, haha. Older AND wiser huh Skwerl?:cheers:

JohnX said:

Now I'm trying to imagine that. Are you counting your thumb as a finger? :)

I don't know where you are commuting 110 miles to, but if its anywhere near the valley we are meeting up tonight for a bit after work.

It is...I work in the Canoga Park/Chatsworth area. Unfortunately Encino's a bit of a hike in the opposite direction of home, and I don't know that you'd want me showing up in the Honda (I try not to use the word "Fit," because it still makes me cringe, though it's not as bad as what the rest of the world calls it), even though it'll be freshly washed and bears the scars of several light desert trail adventures...

Just don't bring it on a trail run and you will be fine. We all have gas guzzling POS's so we understand showing up in something more gas friendly.

Half the guys that show up to the valley m&g won't be in their jeeps. Several of them don't have street legal rigs and a few don't have jeeps at all anymore. :)

Heelloo andd welcume to the Naxxja site allot of kwel guys in here hoped to see jew on the trails

silverslk said:
I was thinking the same thing. This place drives me nuts sometimes.

Look at Skwerly with the proper use of commas, haha. Older AND wiser huh Skwerl?:cheers:

LOL I'm really not that picky, it's just nice to see a well written, well thought out post BESIDES 5-90's once in a while ;).

Nah, we all tend to do pretty well in the "readable post" area, and besides, half the guys on here can beat me up so I just reply and smile :yap:.

kristuphir said:
Now I'm trying to imagine that. Are you counting your thumb as a finger? :)

Three mainly. Usually the index and middle on my right hand and the index on my left. Occasionally a pinky or thumb winds up in the mix.

Now I am paranoid about how I look in your imagination? ;)

welcome Chris!

I don't think you'll get the rights to Occassional Death wobble since that has been around for years :)

Back