• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A-pillar light legality?

jrowell said:
I have always thought that anything above your headlights has to be covered. That could bee a CA law though...

Search for legal headlight height for your state? IIRC that code is why way high lifted trucks get tickets, because the head lights are to high for one, as well as of course frame height is a little to high usually.

Just run a cover and your good. Or pick a location that in dust/dirt or foggy environments you actually can use them without Extream amounts of glare that makes using them worst then without.

every state is going to be a bit different on this matter. I know that it used to be (in Missouri) that you could have them mounted above the headlights, but the fines were per light that were illuminated on road. That came as information to me as a teenager b/c I flicked on my KC's on my roll bar at a car that would not dim their lights...stupid me, it was a cop!!

If they're not on while your running down the highway I couldnt think of a reason why they would be illegal...

Utah law is, no more than 4 lights forward. as long as they're DOT approved.

Not if they read, "offroad only"

depends on state laws. DOT or not, In cali if theyre on the roof of anything taller then a lambo or ferrari then they will be to high and Have to be Covered or ticketed.

I'd say that goes for just about anywhere. Cali for sure! Here you dont need them covered persay, but if they're on you betcha!

I don't see why it matters....just don't turn them on while you're on the road. I'm sure you won't get hassled for it if you're not using them while on the road.

BruceB83 said:
I don't see why it matters....just don't turn them on while you're on the road. I'm sure you won't get hassled for it if you're not using them while on the road.

LET ME CLARIFY.. IF your in Cali DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS!

Cause you WILL get a ticket both for $ and requiring you to 'fix-it" , typically. Unless your Very lucky, or the lights are on a Total mall cruiser and they are very small and "cute".

ROBERTK said:
LET ME CLARIFY.. IF your in Cali DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS!

Cause you WILL get a ticket both for $ and requiring you to 'fix-it" , typically. Unless your Very lucky, or the lights are on a Total mall cruiser and they are very small and "cute".
Well...yet another reason I'm glad I don't live in Cali. But anyways, the guy who asked, does NOT live in Cali.

I had 4 lights mounted on my XJ and lived in PA for 6 years with that. I drove throughout NY, NJ, and PA. Not a single officer in any of those states pulled me over. I seriously doubt a cop is going to pull you over for having lights that are not on, mounted to your truck. They might get ya for WHERE your driving or how FAST but not for some plastic and glass on your roof!

karstic said:

Good call !

You see kids, it doesn't matter a fig what the collective NAXJA inteligence has to say.

The fact is, when considering additional lighting: Location, power, and type, parameters are governed solely by the Federal and State DOT guidlines <Read as "Transportation Statutes">. Additionally, if the rule in your State says "Cover Off-Road lights", you just do it.

After reading the rules, and if you still do not understand them, you may want to make a call to the local State Patrol. I'm sure they would be happy to answer lighting equipment questions before they are a problem.

Personally, I would interpret lights attached to the windshield frame to be Off-Road lighting equipment. They are clearly above the hood, and not intended to be plow lights, thus, they are Off-Road lights and governed in the same fashion as any Off-Road lighting equipment.

Ron

Last edited:
I live in Southern Cali. I have not had a problem with my lights. Just keep them covered. But i did get a ticket for no mudd flaps WTF !!!!

pataterchip said:
well I live in cali and I nevcer knew that, anyone have 2, 7" light covers for sale?

Frisbees and duct tape.

Just kidding what kind of lihts? A lot of times you can get replacement covers check a local retailer.

Or, I can't remeber if it was here on NAXJA or not, but someone got some of those koosh balls, you know the soft rubber ones with the frills on them, and cut a slit in them and slipped them over the lights.

^Mounted them on the bumper this morning right before the snow storm, they really throw out light!

I cut up a old black gym sock and used it as light covers. They pull right off and will keep me out of trouble.

Thanks guys.

Back