• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" Lift - RK vs. Rustys vs...?

CRJeepin

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
New to the board with my '88 Limited, have had it about a month and a half and so far have done a lot of maintenance work (all fluids, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, CPS, cleaned TB, fuel pump & filter, converted to open cooling system, lots of electrical work on the interior, etc).

I plan to lift it 3" and throw some 31.5 x 9.25" BFG AT's on the MOAB rims off my 05 Rubi that I have lying around, but it's gotta ride GREAT because it's the wife's "winter car" and she plans to use it to deliver wedding cakes sometimes (so it's gotta ride smooth!). It won't be wheeled heavily because I've got the Rubi for that....but I'm certainly going to take it out and wail on it a little after it's wailed on me for the past couple months!

I've searched (looks like a lot of good info on here!) but not found a thread that addresses this directly. What I'd like to find out is what the ride quality of the RockKrawler vs. Rusty's 3" lift kits are (RK AAL & Rusty's full spring pack). Or, another brand if you'd suggest it. Basic requirements are just longer springs, shocks and brake lines, I plan to go LA with the Rubi eventually and will move my RE control arms over when I do. Also will be using the RE adjustable front trackbar from the Rubi on the XJ (upgrading to an RK arm w/brace on the rubi).

The existing springs aren't sagging, it's only got 115k on it and was obviously not driven hard or wheeled, so I'm not scared of doing an AAL if it'll ride OK. Oh, and before anybody yells at me for lifting "her jeep", she's 100% on board with the lift, in fact she's the one that suggested it and asked me to get to it. Yep, I'm lucky....

(or maybe not, she also said "don't they race these in that jeep speed?" yah, but ya didn't marry a guy that can afford a lifted rubi, a cj-5 frame-off project AND an XJ build for JeepSpeed, haha!!!)

Thanks for any suggestions, and I apologize for posting what probably is an often-asked question, I just didn't see this one addressed.

I run a Rustys full-pack 4.5 inch lift, and it's a bit rough at times. Rumor has it the RE stuff is simply the best, hands down.

However I do believe the AAL would be much softer than the full springpack and may be the best option for "her" driver ;).

what rumor mill do you read? RE stuff rides very stiff...

the correct answer for best ride is Old Man Emu's 3" lift. check out DPG Offroad, then give Dirk a call. He's a super nice guy and knows his stuff - plus his prices on OME stuff are the best too! Your wife will thank you.

AALs are very stiff and destroy ride quality most of the time. they are effective by being overarched and/or very stiff, thick leafs.

Oh and you have an awesome wife for wanting you to lift her jeep....my fiance` loves to "steal" my XJ and drive it to work. She likes it better than her 06 Honda CR-V!

Haha I agree.....she's a great girl. She did start to scare me when she made the JeepSpeed comment though...ain't no way I can afford a JeepSpeed racer, a built Rubicon and a CJ-5 frame-off, financially or physically! Seems like I'm wrenchin all the time as it is.

Thanks for the comments.....have really heard a split decision on the AAL's, local buddy of mine swears by how nice his rides but others say just the opposite. Have heard that the short AAL's ride harsher than the long AAL's, but kinda would like to replace the spring pack given that the bushings are probably as old as the heep.

if you have to do an AAL, long is the way to go. shorts will ride rougher and suck. a full leaf pack would be better than any AAL but like i said, go long if you go that route. people love RE. people seem to hate Rustys. i have some of his stuff and besides shipping prices i have no problem with it. Old man Emu is the way to go though if you want a GREAT ride!

From experience - I have the 3" RC and love it - but some would consider it rough. I have a friend who has the 3" Rusty's it IS rough compared to mine!

Different price range - but if smooth is a necessity, I'd look at OME.

JM2CW
Michael

I really like the BDS kit. I am currently installing one of their kits with full leaf packs on my moms cherokee. I use all kinds of BDS products on my Cherokee and I am really impressed with their products. My mom wanted a lift kit that rode nice but one that she could go offroad with and not have to worry about. Thats why I went with BDS and used the Full leaf pack kit. My other cherokee in the driveway will also be getting the same kit as my moms cherokee as it will be my daily driver. My cherokee is getting to be too much to drive on the street with the 8 in lift.

JNickel101 said:
what rumor mill do you read? RE stuff rides very stiff...

the correct answer for best ride is Old Man Emu's 3" lift. check out DPG Offroad, then give Dirk a call. He's a super nice guy and knows his stuff - plus his prices on OME stuff are the best too! Your wife will thank you.

AALs are very stiff and destroy ride quality most of the time. they are effective by being overarched and/or very stiff, thick leafs.
X2....Old Man Emu.

One thing to mention is the OME stuff is a little more pricey than the others...but if you want better than stock ride quality...go OME hands down.

jmowens said:
From experience - I have the 3" RC and love it - but some would consider it rough. I have a friend who has the 3" Rusty's it IS rough compared to mine!

Different price range - but if smooth is a necessity, I'd look at OME.

JM2CW
Michael

The difference is the shocks. They make or break the ride and handling of your rig.

Heh....OK looks like it's an OME vs. BDS thread then! Just surfing around lookin at pricing, both aren't bad ($700-800) compared to the 4.5" RE lift on my TJ....course that was with control arms and all.

Anyway, great suggestions and thanks, keep 'em rolling :D

CR

If you need a local hook up for the BDS stuff let me know. Also if you need any help wrenching let me know. I have lifted more then a few cherokees and work in a local fab shop part time.

Old Man Emu... rides awesome, lasts many many miles, works suprisingly well for lift height off road... i would go so far as to say they are "sleeper" lift kits.
Definatly deal with someone who specializes in it tho, as, with the recent changes in part numbers there have been a few folks who've got suprise lifts.
I would strongly recommend talking with Dirk at dpgoffroad.

all i have to say is; if your doing a 3" lift, look into adding an adjustable track bar. most 3" lift kits dont come with an adjustable track bar. some use a trackbar relocation bracket, some recommend redrilling the trackbar mount, and some make no mention of the track bar. at 3", the front axle will no longer be centered under the front end.

it sounds like you have already decided against rustys but i thought i would throw in my 2 cents anyway. we live right down the street from them almost so shipping was not an issue and i wouldnt know about it. as far as the lift is concerned i think its great for the money. i have the 3 inch full spring pack. it flexes pretty good and seems stout. i have done some pretty hard stuff in it and nothing has broken. i have some mud terrains on mine so your ride will probably be a little different than mine, but it rides very smooth on good pavement, however there is a stretch of highway by my house that is pretty much like driving over bulldozer tracks and its not so bad in a car it just about rattles my teeth in the jeep. lots of people seem to not like rustys on here but my experience with them and the 3 inch lift has been excellent.

CRJeepin said:
Haha I agree.....she's a great girl. She did start to scare me when she made the JeepSpeed comment though...ain't no way I can afford a JeepSpeed racer, a built Rubicon and a CJ-5 frame-off, financially or physically! Seems like I'm wrenchin all the time as it is.
i wish i was in a built rubicon and cj-5 resto situation like that. :firedevil

anyways.... I have a rusty's 3" AAL, and it rides about like stock. i probably would have gone with RE, but Rusty's is only about an hour and half away from me up in Rainbow City, so that was good. Brought it home the same day! :D

Back