• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hinged leaf springs?

Pologuy1441

NAXJA Forum User
saw this picture and wondered if these are for sale or have to be home grown.
has anyone tried a u-joint style shackle?
NewBitmapImage-1.jpg

thats a Terra Revolver and Z-box set up....... the Z-boxes allow the spring to rotate in an arc rather than twist from the additional leverage...
some people will tell you they are worthless and others swear by them... i have seen them work incredibly well but never run them on my own rig so i cant compare them performance-wise.

I bet that combo sucks on a steep side hill.

On a side note...

Orbit eye spring bushings would be nice on a trail rig.

that goes back to the days of having mad flex on your jeep and articulation ramps were the rage. IMHO, flex is over rated. traction and weight should be at the top of the list. There is no reason to have to get that twisted up. If you want good flex and stability then engineer a good quality link setup and get away from the leafs.

Rawbrown said:
that goes back to the days of having mad flex on your jeep and articulation ramps were the rage. IMHO, flex is over rated. traction and weight should be at the top of the list. There is no reason to have to get that twisted up. If you want good flex and stability then engineer a good quality link setup and get away from the leafs.

Agreed. You don't need that much flex out of a leaf spring. If you want stupid amounts of flex, go with a coil setup. Swivel mounts like that and revolver shackles are unstable and can unload in unexpected ways. And like was mentioned, no way in Hell I'd want that much swivel and flex in any type of sidehill wheeling, and there's plenty of that in the PNW.

Most the guys I run with say that if you are going up a hill and bounce, those revolver / hinge setups will unload suddenly and violently, and you probably don't want to be in the vehicle when that happens. However, like has already been said, others will swear by them. My vote is do a lot of research before considering doing that to your rig; ask a few hardcore/experienced wheelers, Google it til your fingers hurt, search other offroad boards as well as this one.

Personally, what I lack in flex I make up for with the locker. Just my opine hehe.

A friend of mine had revolvers on his XJ for a few weeks before going back to regular extended shackles.

Sudden and violent unloading really has to be appreciated first hand. I'm glad I saw enough of his near rollovers to decide not to buy his when he sold them.

Back