• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do I get my RE 3.5" leafs to settle the hell down

1bolt

NAXJA Forum User
These have been on for about 2 years now and they still haven't settled, I hate the rake look and the ride is punishing. I can't remember if they are the HD 3.5" springs but they look to be about 2 inches too high compared to the RE 3.5" coils in the front. I have driven around for weeks with hundreds of pounds in the back (6 80lb Bags of pre-mix and some pavers once that's around 500 pounds) and even that doesn't settle them at all, it barely squated the springs.

The shackle angle isn't terrible it's not 45* but last I looked it wasn't that far off.

The Shocks are Duetchtech which are supposed to have a good ride so I don't think they are the issue.

Any tricks to get these to settle? Maybe loosen everything up to thumb tight and spend a day running up and down an RTI ramp?

Is there a way to tell if I got RE's HD springs by mistake (which if I remember correctly are just 4.5" lift springs shipped in a 3.5" lift package)?

You can tell which leaf they are by looking at the part number on the spring and checking the RE site.

When I had the 3.5" leafs I loaded up heavy and went on one run, and they settled in.

You can remove one leaf if you need to..

I agree, leafs settle much quicker when being flexed that just riding around on the street - even is loaded heavily. Flexing with a load...even better.

are you sure its not tired front coils making it look that way?? i had a set of RE 3.5" springs that help up really well for 3 years and i needed a 3/4" spacer in front to even it out after a while. are your rear bushings pre-loaded too much? loosen the spring and shackle blots a few turns and rive it around for a little while and retighten them at ride height.. too often a new lift kit is installed while on jack stands and too seldom are they loosened and retorqued as a follow-up after some drive time.

I think its more that some people just don't use them as hard as others do, so they don't break in.

I have the same problem as you. Mine sits almost level, about 3/4 of an inch difference front to rear. I have done the same thing as you, drove around loaded and even pulled 4 wheelers with it. Mine does not won't to settle at all either. I never changed the stock shackles when I lifted the Jeep, and I have been told that I should have. I just ordered, about 3 hours ago, T&T's 1 inch boomerang shackles. The guy at T&T said he runs them on his cherokee with the same lift, but with u-bolt eliminators, and it rides very well. I should have the new shackles on by this weekend, I'll let you know how well they work.

Not to hijack, but on a similar note, I have RE 3.5" rears springs in my garage waiting to be installed. Has anyone ran these springs and not done a SYE? I know I want to eventually get a SYE, but for now I just want to install my springs. Will I get driveshaft vibes if the 3.5" lift springs give me more lift?

Thanks, Chris

chris_amrein said:
Not to hijack, but on a similar note, I have RE 3.5" rears springs in my garage waiting to be installed. Has anyone ran these springs and not done a SYE? I know I want to eventually get a SYE, but for now I just want to install my springs. Will I get driveshaft vibes if the 3.5" lift springs give me more lift?

Thanks, Chris

What year rig? I ran them with no SYE, and then lifted 2 more inches with no SYE, on my 1987.

When my leafs were about 9 months old, they hadnt given at all yet.

I put 400 pounds of gear in my rig, and ran the Rubicon.

By the end, it was like driving a cadillac.

53284566208_0_bg.jpg

chris_amrein said:
1997 with a 5spd and 231

It could go either way, but you best plan for an SYE and then be pleasantly surprised if you don't need it.

I take back what I said about shackle angle I was just out there losening everything... The shackle is nearly at 90* and everything was torqued down way more than I remember so everything just got loosened up, and I sprayed white lithium grease into the leafs. I am going to load it up with tools and wheel it and see what that does on the next outing. It's deinfitely not wheeled rubicon trail hard, but it's no mall crawler.

I have never looked at the angle of the shackles. What should they look like? I had the lift installed over a year ago and have wheeled the shit out of it with weight and it has never settled. I wonder if the guy that did the install tighten the lift off the ground. maybe I should loosen them and go from there.

I think if I was in your situation, and they hadn't settled in 2 or however many years, i'd get some spacers up front to level it out. that would probably be easier than removing a leaf or changing a shackle....or riding around with 6 bags of quik-crete :confused1

Well after loosening all the shackle and eye bolts flexing them out hard and taking a test drive I am impressed with how much the ride quality just increased... bumps that were rear end lifting WHOMPS are now all of a sudden just about as tame as going over them in my Wifes bone stock 97. That's a nice improvement to say the least. Although I have to say now I can actually feel the lack of the rear sway bar.

Still has rake and the angles still nearly 90*

Semper Fi: I've read a lot of stuff here and on Pirate that says the ideal shackle angle is close to 45* which is only really accomplished by using a longer spring, or relocating the shackle mount or spring eye. Definitely no expert on it, just stuff I've read here.

Back