• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welder question

flux core will just splatter more.
i've never actually used shielding gas, always flux core.

by the way, follow up question to welders .. i have a shitty little mig welder and thinking about upgrading. how much will this one listed on ebay actually penetrate? would you use it for making a font bumper (3/16" wall) or would you use a bigger mig or stick?

The gas is cheap. I think we pay 15.00 per bottle and it last a very long time. The trick is to find a bottle so you dont have to pay a monthly fee for it.

jeep/bronco said:
would that welder be a good one to buy to start out welding 5/16 rods and 1/4 plate steel?

yes it welds up to 1/4" and it is gas adaptable

specs here:

# 30-100 amps output.
# Welds up to 1/4 in. steel.
# Ready to weld with MIG on mild steel. Shielding gas sold separately. Weld .035" self-shielded (gasless) flux-cored wire with optional Innershield Welding Kit.
# Plugs into 115V, 20 amp outlet.
# Gun trigger safety feature keeps welding wire electrically "cold" until trigger is pressed.
# Compact, portable, lightweight and easy-to-use.
# This combination wire feeder/CV power source is recommended for .023-.030" solid wire MIG (gas-shielded) welding of virtually any light gauge, mild steel or stainless steel material (stainless steel wire sold separately). Install K664-2 Aluminum Welding Kit to expand the MIG-PAK 10`s capabilities to include .035" solid wire MIG welding of aluminum.
# Welder settings reference chart conveniently located inside wire feed section door makes it easy to set the MIG-PAK 10 for mild steel welding jobs.
# Fan-cooled for long life expectancy.
# Three year warranty on parts and labor. (90 days warranty on gun a hose)

I weld with co2. it welds hotter and cheaper than argon co2 mix. much better if welding out doors with any wind.

jeep/bronco said:
would that welder be a good one to buy to start out welding 5/16 rods and 1/4 plate steel?

No...not NEARLY enough power for 5/16 rods...yes you can weld 1/4" using the prescribed .023 or .025 wire and appropriate shield gas IF you use proper fit up and welding technique...however in cold weather you will most likely need to preheat the metal.

I don't recommend any welder less that 175 amps unless you intend to only weld sheetmetal...it is way too easy to make make welds that look good to the untrained eye that will easily fail from cold welds or lack of penetration.

lowrange2 said:
My welds certainly LOOK pretty but I hope they hold... I used a Hobart Handler 140 to weld up my bumper.

I have and use a snap on FM-140. using co2 and .030 wire I can burn a hole through cold 1/4" mild steel. I have ugly welds but never have had any failures including control arms mounts on dana 60's.

I've been using Co2/ Argon Blend and .035 wire and it gets pretty hot but I have it turned wide ass open...

I'm also still learning so I've just been over doing everything just in case... If my welds are as good as they look then thats gunna be one solid ass bumper!

lowrange2 said:
I've been using Co2/ Argon Blend and .035 wire and it gets pretty hot but I have it turned wide ass open...

I'm also still learning so I've just been over doing everything just in case... If my welds are as good as they look then thats gunna be one solid ass bumper!

when in doubt give it several passes and grind it down

I didn't mean you have to weld at 175 amps...I meant the welder needs that much capacity if you weld relatively thick stuff...you set up needs to match the materials you are working with....thin stuff can be done in a single pass.

Thick(er) stuff may need multiple passes....with the fit-up and root pass being critical...basically put...there shouldn't be any voids inside or under the weld bead..

But the 5/16 rod idea is killing me...sure you aren't confusing that with 3/32 rod? It takes Gonzo amps to burn a 5/16 rod....no 115 volt box will approach that kind of amperage output.

I just was doing the same search and ended up going with a linc 175 after thinking I was gonna get a 140 machine.

The 140 machines are a little misleading, they won't mig metal thicker than around 1/8" and most of the settings for light plate involve fluxcore and multiple passes. I don't want to be crossing my fingers making multiple passes with the machine maxed out on LCAs or bumpers or such.

I got a weldpak 175 (box store version of the tapped 175 lincoln) brand new in box for $510 shipped off ebay this weekend, not much more than the 140 machines are going for.

You'll need a regulator too if you want to use a bottle with the mig pak 10, a lot of the bigger machines come with a regulator.

MudDawg said:
But the 5/16 rod idea is killing me...sure you aren't confusing that with 3/32 rod? It takes Gonzo amps to burn a 5/16 rod....no 115 volt box will approach that kind of amperage output.

I think the OP means welding 5/16" diameter stock, not 5/16" welding rod

yes im using 5/16 stock hot rolled im looking at the clarke 130en now its like 275$ and 130 amps i have searched all the sites that sell this thing but cant find any consumer reports or anything. id like to know what its capabilities are. have any of you ever used this welder? is it descent or junk?

Back