• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear leaf springs

Dan's wagon

NAXJA Forum User
I heard if you turn your srings around in the rear you move the rear end back 5 inches. Has anyone done this and how did it work. I am in the process of putting a 14 bolt rear,Ford hp60 in the front. First time posting on here so take it easy.LOL:helpme:

I saw a topic about this on pirate last week. I see no reason not to do it. Give it a shot and see what happens, all else fails you have to undo a few bolts and turn them around again.

-Alex

I guess you could do it, if you want your diff to hit your fuel tank....

Alredy moving the gas tank. Putting a cell in it. I put a small block chevy in it with a TH350 tranny along with a 203/205 doubler with twin stick. The only thing I was woried about on the sring flip was the long side of the spring is in the front now. Thought it might cause a axle wrap problem. Guess I will try it and see. Thanks for the help.

Dan's wagon said:
Alredy moving the gas tank. Putting a cell in it. I put a small block chevy in it with a TH350 tranny along with a 203/205 doubler with twin stick. The only thing I was woried about on the sring flip was the long side of the spring is in the front now. Thought it might cause a axle wrap problem. Guess I will try it and see. Thanks for the help.

I believe axle-wrap will be your biggest concern, since you've already addressed the fuel tank and I assume the sheetmetal. You'll likely need to fab a traction bar.

600dollarxj said:
With all the work you're already doing, if you flip the springs you should go ahead and build a traction bar
I would eventually like to do coils in the back. I am spending the money up front right now. Thanks for the help.

I have a friend that did this but not on an XJ but still the same principal and the same amount of work. It was on a FJ40 Landcruiser, he moved the Gas tank and a anti-wrap bar was necessary. It didn't work without the anit-wrap bar, lots of spring wrap! Also when he put the traction bar on, it was putting the grade 8 bolts through hell, he broke a few of them but has since put in alot bigger hardware. The departure angle is awesome now and now that he has fixed all the bugs eveything is good to go.

Does anyone know where I can buy the weld on bracket's for the upper and lower control arm mounts annd also coilspring buckets and trackbar brackets. I am putting a ford high pinion 60 out of a 79 ford in my cherokee.

Dan's wagon said:
I heard if you turn your srings around in the rear you move the rear end back 5 inches. Has anyone done this and how did it work. I am in the process of putting a 14 bolt rear,Ford hp60 in the front. First time posting on here so take it easy.LOL:helpme:

Ive got a dana 60 rear and i turned my springs around to move the axle back

Dan's wagon said:
Does anyone know where I can buy the weld on bracket's for the upper and lower control arm mounts annd also coilspring buckets and trackbar brackets. I am putting a ford high pinion 60 out of a 79 ford in my cherokee.

TnT customs doesnt have the truss on the website but if you call them they make a full truss with just about everything on it

bandit455 said:
do u have some pics on how ur planning on cutting the rear for tire clearance
New at this. Have picture but don't know how to post it. I will try again tommorow. Sorry

The front spring mount needs be be changed as well if you flip the spring. The bushings on the springs are different sizes so that has to be adressed

krelja said:
The front spring mount needs be be changed as well if you flip the spring. The bushings on the springs are different sizes so that has to be adressed
How would you have to change it? The front is bigger then the back in stock form.

Digging up an old thread.

Does anyone have any pics after flipping the rear springs? My new 37's want to rub on the front, even after some trimming. Trying to soak everything in before wasting my time. Thanks.

Back