• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any way to run 6.5" speakers instead of 5.25's?

I run 6.5s in the rear sound bar of my '96, they fit fine with very minor trimming. Others here have run 6x9s in the door panels(!).

Daedalus454 said:
I run 6.5s in the rear sound bar of my '96, they fit fine with very minor trimming. Others here have run 6x9s in the door panels(!).
I'd most likely be happy with 6.5's in the rear and 5.25's up front. I'm not a fan of oval speakers. I don't think they sound quite as good :D :laugh: I know I'm anal.

Anybody have pictures of the "minor trimming" required? Also does the speaker grill fit back on?

I have 6.5's in my doors, they fit, just need to drill new mounting holes.

crazyjim said:
I just can't find a quality 5.25 speaker that I like... anybody have any ideas on how I might be able to run a 6.5" speaker? It's a 2000 XJ btw. Thanks in advance

Crutchfield should be able to supply you w/ quality 5.25" speakers in every price range.

Im running 6.5" Pioneers in my doors and rear sound bar of my 01 XJ. No issues, slight trim of the door the a dremel.

I'm running Infinity 6012si front and rear. Drilled new mounting holes, but no trimming necessary. If I could do it over, I'd get the regular 6012 speaksers instead of the si (slim) models. The only difference is a fixed, versus adjustable tweeter, plus about 10 or 20 watts. There is plenty of room. In fact, I'm guessing that you can fit 6 3/4 without issue.

crazyjim said:
Sweet! That's what I like to hear! What brand are they? And also are they pretty shallow?

I forget, but I think I got Kenwoods. They're relatively shallow but they sound great

I got a set of JL VR series 5.25's I will sell ya for about 225$ LESS then what crutchfield sells them for if yoru interested?

75$ adn thier yours. Sound good as new. One tweeter has the tiny little JL symbol that fell off the front . Other wise Good as new!

People will tell you 'that know' that these are some of the best 5.25" separates out there. But at 299$ a set they are hard to pony up for. At 75$ I think its a no brainer, if they will work for ya.

As for if I would run a round or oval. The round speaker is more natural of sound period! But then again some applications they try to get as large of a speaker as poss in a area that only a oval shape will fit.

ROBERTK said:
I got a set of JL VR series 5.25's I will sell ya for about 225$ LESS then what crutchfield sells them for if yoru interested?

75$ adn thier yours. Sound good as new. One tweeter has the tiny little JL symbol that fell off the front . Other wise Good as new!

People will tell you 'that know' that these are some of the best 5.25" separates out there. But at 299$ a set they are hard to pony up for. At 75$ I think its a no brainer, if they will work for ya.

As for if I would run a round or oval. The round speaker is more natural of sound period! But then again some applications they try to get as large of a speaker as poss in a area that only a oval shape will fit.

got a pic of the speaker your selling?Crutchfield shows 6.5 in the front and 5.25 in the rear I am doing the same upgrade on my system also.

I believe that 6 1/2's fit better than 5-1/4's. I have Infinity Kappa 6.5's in the rear sound bar with no trimming at all in my 97 & 2000. The 97 also had 6.5 Kappa components in the front with no trimming, 5-1/4 is real small in the front if you mount it behind the door panal. My 2000 has 5 1/4 MB Quart Premium line Componenets but the speakers are mounted to the door panal itself and not to the metal door. They fit to the door panal like they were made for it and look awesome with the huge titanium tweeters only a few inch's away.

garr said:
In the reas saoun bar Will the factory speker covers still fit with 6.5" are installed?

That depends on the design of the trim ring on your speaker. I have MQ quarts that were a bit hard to fit in due to the trim ring being molded around the outside diameter and it protruded out a bit preventing the speaker covers to fit like original.

crazyjim said:
I'd most likely be happy with 6.5's in the rear and 5.25's up front. I'm not a fan of oval speakers. I don't think they sound quite as good :D :laugh: I know I'm anal.

Anybody have pictures of the "minor trimming" required? Also does the speaker grill fit back on?

Just my .02 cents but usually it sounds better as far as proper sound staging and dynamics to have the 6.5s in the front and use smaller speakers that have a smaller reproduction range (mid to highs like 5.25s) in the rear for fill. This is assuming you also have a sub but it still woudl apply.

2001XJ said:
Just my .02 cents but usually it sounds better as far as proper sound staging and dynamics to have the 6.5s in the front and use smaller speakers that have a smaller reproduction range (mid to highs like 5.25s) in the rear for fill. This is assuming you also have a sub but it still woudl apply.

That is not really the concept that audiophiles will take.

The Typical High end systems use Mids and Highs in the front and ballance it out with a mids in the rear and averaging one pair of tweeters to 2 pairs of mids (or adjusting wattage to get that type of effect) and all subsonic (woofer) feq in the rear.

In other words.. Small to larger speaker sizes from front to back. But then again theres always expections to that dependinng on space limits.

Now in newer cars they dont want to deafin the rear seat pass. so they put more size up front and try to ballance it out with smaller in the rear. But that is not how you will Ever find a ground up designed system.

Oh and Titanuim tweeters are for volume and Silk Dome are for quality. Doesnt mean that silk dome are not loud, its just they are more precise and are not as "bright". I will never use anything other then silk dome if I can help it.

ROBERTK said:
That is not really the concept that audiophiles will take.

The Typical High end systems use Mids and Highs in the front and ballance it out with a mids in the rear and averaging one pair of tweeters to 2 pairs of mids (or adjusting wattage to get that type of effect) and all subsonic (woofer) feq in the rear.

In other words.. Small to larger speaker sizes from front to back. But then again theres always expections to that dependinng on space limits.

Now in newer cars they dont want to deafin the rear seat pass. so they put more size up front and try to ballance it out with smaller in the rear. But that is not how you will Ever find a ground up designed system.

Oh and Titanuim tweeters are for volume and Silk Dome are for quality. Doesnt mean that silk dome are not loud, its just they are more precise and are not as "bright". I will never use anything other then silk dome if I can help it.

I will admit it has been a few years since I have been to a car audio competition but 9 out of 10 guys were running them like this. Also, how would a smaller speaker in the front, nearest the person listening to the system sound better than a larger one? You would be reducing the quality of sound since the smaller speaker would not have the ability reproduce the hertz range wanted nor the power? Like I said, it has been awhile but the theory then was to have the speaker that reproduces the best range over the entire spectrum up front and have overlap with the rear, smaller speaker for the herts range that usually is lacking due to subs that tend to "drown" out the upper mids and highs. This would allow good sound reproduction for rear passengers as well.

2001XJ said:
I will admit it has been a few years since I have been to a car audio competition but 9 out of 10 guys were running them like this. Also, how would a smaller speaker in the front, nearest the person listening to the system sound better than a larger one? You would be reducing the quality of sound since the smaller speaker would not have the ability reproduce the hertz range wanted nor the power? Like I said, it has been awhile but the theory then was to have the speaker that reproduces the best range over the entire spectrum up front and have overlap with the rear, smaller speaker for the herts range that usually is lacking due to subs that tend to "drown" out the upper mids and highs. This would allow good sound reproduction for rear passengers as well.

Well I am not going in to the whole explaination. If you want to seriously know then do a search for a real SQ site and they will discribe it best. But in therory, the lower feq are not "heard" but more felt and are Very illusive, so the lower feq can be located in the rear where typ theres the room needed for a real sub. And to get a larger speaker to accuratly reproduce higher mid feq is Very difficult while Also reproducing lower feq!

So you locate the highs (silk) in front, with Mid/Highs (180 or so hz) and if poss another set of mids but more in the lower 120hz, and mid bass 80-120hz and bass 40-80hz in the rear with maybe a set of Silk or hard dome tweets.

Any more needed explaination should be taken to a different thread/forum.

Buts its your money and your rig so build how you want, not how others do...

Oh.. and as for what you were seeing "9 out of 10" others doing with larger speakers in front. Was this in a SPL or SQ comp? SPL of course they want more surface area closer to the meter. But for Sound Quality you wont see this.

The best factory Mopar Infinity systems are designed to produce a front sound stage.

They run a center channel so the vocals sound like the band is in front of you. other speakers are located and tuned so you feel like the band is in front of you.

Basicly its a 5.1 dolby surround sound system in your car.

When you go to a concert do you sit with your back to the stage?

No... You face the band. This is how they design it, to reproduce this effect.

Back