• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

did you break em with impact or wrench?

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
When you installed aftermarket shocks and broke the upper rear bolts, what were you using? Impact or socket wrench?

The reason i started this thread was cuz i got ome's coming. The headache i had with my tj seems to be a headache with the xj's as well. I broke all four uppers on my tj and had to drill them out. They broke using a 1/2" ratched. I planned to pb them for a month and then use the impact but wanted to see if there was any luck with the impact.

Last time I did shocks, a simple 3/8" ratchet did the job. Unless you're in the Rust Belt or the Salt Belt, that's all you really should need.

(Sorry - I thought you meant "broke loose." I only replaced the screws because I'm funny that way - they all came out fine.)

Last edited:
PB Blaster the day befor. Then used 3/8 drive socket. Came out like butter.

3/8" ratchet.

Got out all four without snappage on my floorless, rustbucket 1994.

Oh yeah, no penetrant either, I was intending to snap them but they came right out!

No problem with mine, I had been coating the bolts for about a week with a spray like PB Blaster, but it was industrial strength that my dad gave me...

Mine broke so easily that it almost felt like they were made of plastic. Seriously! I put a magnet to the bolt heads after they broke just to make sure they were metal. I just couldn't beleive they were so soft.

Oh, yeah. I just used a 3/8" ratchet w/ an extension. Also some PB blaster

Three of my four broke with a 3/8 rachet ,thats after soaking them for a week with PB blaster.

I hit mine with the impact and they came right out. I start with lower power to rattle them loose.

all four with no problems-- expected to break them but after buying the easy out and new bolts, they knew they couldn't piss me off and they just gave up and came out!party1:

magimerlin said:
PB Blaster the day befor. Then used 3/8 drive socket. Came out like butter.

X's 2. Although I actually put PB Blaster on them twice, once three days before, and once the day before. Came out easy as pie, went back in with a dab of anti-sieze.

Back