• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Use 89 knuckles on a 99 D30?

ratherbcamping

NAXJA Forum User
I'm cleaning up a 99 D30 for my XJ. I'm currently running an 89 disc axle that has brand new calipers and rotors. The 99 calipers have trail damage and caliper mounting holes are stripped.

Can I just swap the knuckles complete with brakes over or should I plan on new calipers and helicoils?

ratherbcamping said:
I'm cleaning up a 99 D30 for my XJ. I'm currently running an 89 disc axle that has brand new calipers and rotors. The 99 calipers have trail damage and caliper mounting holes are stripped.

Can I just swap the knuckles complete with brakes over or should I plan on new calipers and helicoils?

Sure you can...but why should you?
The 99 bakes have better braking power.
Replace the calipers and buy new knuckles if the ones you have are unrepairable.

Ron

Zuki-Ron said:
Sure you can...but why should you?
The 99 bakes have better braking power.
Replace the calipers and buy new knuckles if the ones you have are unrepairable.Ron

Thanks,

I bought new rotors, hub assemblies and calipers for the 89 less than 1000 miles ago and the brakes work great. There is really no need to spend money if I don't have too. I also have a spare set of hubs for the 89 knuckles.

Just out of curiosity, why is braking power better with the newer setup? I knew the design changed, but I've never heard that the newer brakes work better.

Back