• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone else hate chrome?

jstone8952

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, i know how much everyone hates pic requests, thats why im not going to specifically ask for pictures in this one... but im starting to hate the fact that my truck is half black and half harley and was wondering if anyone had any PHOTOGRAPHS (hey, i didnt ask for pictures) or write ups on how to get rid of te chrome on all over (eg the grill, door handles, roof rack, gutter etc)
its just killing me, and since i redid my rims charcoal the whole chrome thing sticks out lke a sore thumb. i know i could buy all new black parts for it but im kinda wanting savef a little if i could do it myself. any help? ty ty

I hear ya dude. Here you go.
The day I bought it.
CorysJeep.jpg

And now. well not now, but a good shot
P8210245.jpg

Basically, i just roughed everything up that was chrome with a sanding block and taped everything off and layed down some good primer and then sanded and painted.

it seems you have only 2 options....buy black parts (cheaper at the salvage yard) or paint all the chrome parts.
what kind of pics do you need to replace or paint these parts?

If you decide to buy black parts ship those chrome pieces my way :eeks1:

some 800grit sandpaper to scuff the surfaces and some krylon plastic specific rattle cans do the job just fine

I have a '99 so I don't have chrome all over, but I love the look of my wheels. What's wrong with looking good while going off-road?
Jeep01.jpg

so sandpaper will do the trick? im just afraid of the paint flaking off, and also matching so it looks decent. mines black so... i wnat to do it right if im going to do it- new ones are primer anyway
heres what it looks like as of now:
liftandstuff038.jpg

i want to get rid of the bumpers, grill, side mirrors and gutter gaurd and door handles.

PAflex.jpg

PAflex2.jpg

PAflex3.jpg

I had to scuff down the chrome on my KC hilites and paint them flat black. The guy i bought them form almost started to cry when he saw that i did that. I hate chrome on jeeps.

^ that thing is a monster. Personally I love the color of the wheels but I dont know how it would look on the trim, grill and mirrors. I would go black. What color paint is on the wheels by the way?

jstone8952 said:
so sandpaper will do the trick? im just afraid of the paint flaking off, and also matching so it looks decent. mines black so... i wnat to do it right if im going to do it- new ones are primer anyway
liftandstuff038.jpg

i want to get rid of the bumpers, grill, side mirrors and gutter gaurd and door handles.

dude, thats a sharp lookin jeep. i hate chrome, but your jeep sure is pretty. Mine is a laredo so it had all the chrome like yours. I rattle canned the whole jeep....

only thing that looks better than black and chrome is black on black, IMO

first was camo (looked awesome, but i really wanted a black jeep) so i painted it black.

its raining in that pic and the jeeps are soaked, but you can see the black on black there

DSC00258.jpg

HTH
-Tim

I recommend all black as well. I was jjust saying I like that polished aluminum look instead of chrome. (or just wanted to show a washed and waxed poser pic:cool:) :wave:

lol RyanM if mine looked like that id take any and every chance i could to post a pic. thats badass. black on black is nice i def agree... i just wnat to make sure i do this thing good ya know. i want a high gloss black with clear if i do.

jstone8952 said:
liftandstuff038.jpg

just use the sandpaper to scuff the surface, not remove the chrome. scuffing it will give the paint an ideal surface to stick to.

it could also be much easier to buy black front end parts. the cheapest place i found other than a possible junkyard is rockauto.com

light scuff with 800 grit then it is. as far as the bumper- flat balck or gloss? i know for the grill and bezels and what not im gonna go gloss, but the bumper im not too sure on?

Back