• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Many Questions :D

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
The Background: 98 XJ Sport 4.0 H.O D30 8.25 Np231 transfer case and an aw4 trans. Me and a buddy installed an RE 3.5 Super ride with doetch shock absorgers, i bought the kit used but looks brand new. I installed an adjustable tracbar with an RE trac drop bracket. The rear are the RE military full leaf packs. I put 4 degree shims in the rear but didnt put the transfercase drop kit.

Problem: As i started to drive it i felt a vibration as if i put on big ole' knobby super swampers and went i turned it sounded like a pop. it feels like when i drive it that things are still moving and poping. This morning i took it for a drive to see if maybe everything needs to settle but still the same problem. i checked the front and the draglink looked a little too high up from the pitman arm and the my tie rod seemed to bow up a bit on the passenger side( stock steering linkage).

Questions: Should i install the transfercase drop (1inch)? Do i need a drop pitman arm and a whole new sterring set up? How do i set the toe of the vehicle? any links on that? Should i just take it to a shop and get it 4wheel alignment?

Any input helps. thanx

Anthony's_98_XJ said:
Questions: Should i install the transfercase drop (1inch)? Do i need a drop pitman arm and a whole new sterring set up? How do i set the toe of the vehicle? any links on that? Should i just take it to a shop and get it 4wheel alignment?
1. You don't need a 4 wheel alignment: XJ's don't have the ability to align rear wheels :) So...... check your alignment up front: grab a tape measure and measure from a same lug to a same positioned lug front and rear. IIRC you want it to toe in about 1/8"

2. You heard a pop when you turned? Make sure all your linkage components (including track bar bracket) are nice and snug against the frame. Have someone turn wheels on it while it's parked and observe for movement.

3. You put in 4* shim... which way did you point the fat end? With no SYE you should have the fat end up front IIRC (idea is to have the angles of the tcase and the axle outputs be identical and the outputs parallel to each other). Also how much spline engagemnt do you have on the output of the tcase??? That might be your problem that you're running out of yoke to output shaft engagement.

4. Sooner rather then later you'll have to get an SYE....

5. Oh yeah, to set the toe of the vehicle with stock linkage: loosen up the adjustors on the tie rod and start threading the TRE's in by turning the tie rod in the appropriate direction.

#1 always have to get the alignment done with lift changes. Not super hard to do it yourself, but if you are lazy like me $75 usually gets me piece of mind.

With my 3.5" kit I went out and got the drop arm anyways. I figure nicer angles on the steering equal less stress on it.

I havent done the 1" drop yet on the case, so I dont know about that. I have nothing wierd going on with my setup yet though.

I did the shims also. I didnt pick them, my buddy told me I needed them so I got em. Maybe that is why I havent had any problems not dropping the case yet?

Thats all I got, prolly get better advice as the thread lives on.

Kejtar said:
3. You put in 4* shim... which way did you point the fat end? With no SYE you should have the fat end up front IIRC

uh oh, I may have a problem with my setup :helpme:

Back