• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Names of parts

aiinny

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,I'm new to this.
:huh: Where can I find a schematic that identifies the visible parts in the engine compartment of a straight six? I know what the battery , distributor and sparkplug wires look like but I dont want to go to a parts store and ask for the "do-hickey" on the right side etc.Any advise anyone?

Most people learn by just jumping in feet first. Having a problem, doing the research, and then replacing a part, finding out that it's the wrong part, replacing another part, having another seemingly unrealated problem, getting frustrated, breaking out the beer and the BFH :cheers: :flamemad: , you get the picture.
Or you could just take a class. Nothing can replace experience but education is always the best investment. Either way, your going to pay. It's just a matter of if you want to pay upfront for a class or over time in more broken parts and bloodied knuckles. Just my $.02

BTW-I did't have the money to put upfront for the class...:laugh3:

What awhile and see if the OEM parts name, the FSM name, the repair manual name and the commonly used names aren't all different anyway. Even Jeep changed the name of many common components when they changed a model run or ownership.
I still use whatchamacallit and thingamajig a lot myself. The FSM is probably the best choice for reference.

There are some part websites that you can download an illustrated parts breakdown of your motor...that way you can look through the pictures, and find out the name of the part...what vehicle do you have?

Thanks so much , I will take it one piece at a time and do it.Meanwhile ,will pick up a Chilton copy. Don't want to go back to school yet. Again,thanks for all the response I v'e got.

Back