• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifting the rear axkle

JWHIT67

NAXJA Forum User
Whenever I look at my xj (and ponder bigger wheels) I can't help but wonder if I could shift the rear axle back an inch or so remove the rear bumper wrap around I could run atleast 31 without much if any fender trimming. Any thoughts? Right now there is no lift but considering a 2.5 to 3" lift in the near future (with a lift same question only bigger tires, I know I would need to do many other mods but that is another issue.) The jeep is basically stock 98 130000 miles, ABS and a dana 35. This is a daily driver but I do go off road and getting adventurous.

Some stock perches (the welded/stamped ones, not the cast) already have 3 holes in them. You can drill out the end holes to make them round (square stock). I have done this for some time now with no problems.

I did this to mine to be able to use a full f-150 main leaf. I built a new rear shackle mount and used the stock front mount. The f-150 leaf normally locates the axle about 1.5" towards the rear by doing this, so I moved the axle forward about an inch or so for now, so I could use my DS (I also made an offset shim to correct pinion angle, but you probably won't need this with no lift).
My original plan was to eventually use the f-150 leaves to extend the WB some once I did some QP cutting and got a new DS. Now I think I am going to just link it instead:dunno: .

Back