• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Alternator Testing/Removal??

ihscoutlover

NAXJA Forum User
How does one go about testing, and if it is bad, replacing the alternator? I know that it won't come out the bottom, or will it? If not, is there a way to accurately test it on the vehicle? I notice when it has been colder out, when I first load it, there is some squealing, like the belt is slipping, I remove the load and it goes away. I had a parts store run a test on it, and they said it isn't putting out but about 30 amps. I have enough radio and lighting equipment to load it waaaayyy down, to help determine if the alt is really bad. Thoughts and suggestions would help. Thanks

Jeff

The belt may be loose causing the noise. It could cause low output also. If you use a digital voltmeter you will see at least 12.60 or 12.80 or so volts with the engine off. With it running it should go to at least 13.40 and as high as about 14.40 volts. Thats the basics that you should see. It wont guarantee that your alt. can put out max, but its the first thing to check. The belt needs to be surprisingly tight to keep it from squealing. Be sure the belt is in good shape first. No cracks in the inner ribs. They sell a gauge for setting the belt tension.

I guess I will work on retightening it. Although the belt is about due for replacement anyways. Is there a way to just test the alt for current without removal from the jeep, while the engine is running?

The proper test would be an alternator current output test. AMPS- volts won't tell you much about the alternator itself, but can tell you if you have bad connections- check for good alternator ground, check voltage drops.

you will need a VAT machine to test for amps.

an inductive clamp is placed over the wire connecting B+ to the alternator. the engine is run off idle (1200-1500RPM for the jeep), a load is applied to the battery using the VAT, and the alternator output is noted in amps.

DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT do the old hillybilly test of disconnecting the battery while engine is running.(if it stays running the alt is supposedly good) this may destroy a perfectly good alternator.

Last edited:
i've found the easiest way to remove an alternator is through the top, but you have to remove the battery tray.

Back