• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Axel Nut Retainers?(pics)

cloudswimmer

NAXJA Forum User
I just swapped in some Alloy chromoly axle shafts into my Dana 30 and am wondering what I should do with these rusty axle nut retainers.Are these retainers something that can be ordered new somewhere, or should I try wire brushing em and spaying with something like Rustolem rust reformer.I do have new cotter pins, but don't really want to install the retainer back in this condition.Any Ideas?Thanks.....2 pics below

original.jpg

original.jpg

I suppose you could wire brush them off and spray them if you wanted... I think it's just surface rust. Mine looked like that when I did my front bearings, and I just put them back on like that. they don't show in my rims though, so it may look better if you paint yours. Jeep may carry those although they would probably have to order them, and they'll probably charge you like $15 for them anyway.

I'm sure you could get them from a dealership....

Use them as they are to help with all of the glare from the wheels and lug nuts:dunno:

why not just run center caps, you'll never see them

1996cc said:
Just run them the way they are. Nobody cares what your nut retainers look like, except you.

Well for that matter I don't think anyone cares what my whole jeep looks like except me :D What about just leaving em off and just putting the cotter pin back in?

prupose of the spring washer, nut retainers and the pin is to keep the 36mm nut from not backing off any. just the pin would let the nut turn, the nut retainer keeps it from backing off any.
if you plan on checking that nut all the time I guess it may be ok, would I run without it??? no.

beakie said:
prupose of the spring washer, nut retainers and the pin is to keep the 36mm nut from not backing off any. just the pin would let the nut turn, the nut retainer keeps it from backing off any.
if you plan on checking that nut all the time I guess it may be ok, would I run without it??? no.

Gotcha Think I'll just hit it with a wire brush and a shot of krylon and call it a day.Thanks guys

hot_rod_hooligans said:
I just wire brushed them, and sprayed them black, but I have black rims too......

Same here. I suppose you could drill a small hole in the edge of the nut and use safety wire instead of the retainer and pin.

Back