• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Out of ideas...

Waterhammer

NAXJA Forum User
Aargh, this is driving me nuts.

The story- a little while ago my PDC shorted and gave me all sorts of problems, randomly not starting and stalling being one of them. After some investigation I figured I needed a new one. A couple of calls and I had a friend at a yard send me a new one. It seemed the same so I put it in. I didn't cut any wires, actually did a nice install and when i went to start up all my electrical gremlins were gone, sweet.

Fast fwd- The check engine light has been on since (thought it was a tranny code) and I'm just getting around to clearing the codes so I can get an emissions inspection. I plug in my reader and some oxygen sensor codes come up- 130, 131, 141, etc. All o2 sensor heater malfunction/failure codes, WTF I thought, I replaced them less than a year ago. More research...
Bear with me here. I found there are two emmissions systems you can have, Federal and Cali. My Jeep (2000, 4.0, auto) is set up with the cali. two pre-cat, four 02 sensor setup. The federal standard is two upstream sensors on the exhaust manifold and ONE post cat. The FSM has a good description of this, pp 14-47 I believe.

Now my issue- I installed a PDC wiring harness from a federal emmissions jeep where the 02 sensor heater element is run by through the ASD relay. On my Cali set up Jeep the two banks of 02 sensors are run through their own separate relays. I tried to get lucky and put the two relays in where they're suppose to go but there's no connection (I was hoping jeep used the same PDC for each model but left the relay out on the Federal emissions one, unfortunately thats not the case.)

Does anyone think I can manually run the 02 heaters somehow, or add in the relays? I don't know if I can get another PDC. I know I'm a tool, the different emmissions didn't even cross my mind. 20/20 hindsight.

If I can't get the MIL off then I can't get my rig inspected (MIL on is an automatic failure, especially an emissions code.) My inspection's up the end of the month so I'll be illegal after that. It's my DD.

Any insight would be cool. The more I think the more I realize I may just have to get another wiring harness... Damn.

Back