• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sound system

KI4KWF

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of gathering up stuff to do my sound system with. I want to get a new receiver, 4 speakers, and an amp. Eventually I will probably put a sub in the rear cubby-hole thing, but not now.
I've been looking on crutchfield's site, and I'm thinking i need a 4-channel amp for my 4 main speakers, and then eventually add a mono sub amp when i get a sub. So, heres my question:
Does a 4-channel amp need 2 pre-amp connections from the receiver or not? I need to know because i will need another pre-amp output still avaliable for the sub amp.
*Ex: i get a 4-channel sub and a receiver that has 2 pre-amp out's. The amp then needs both of those outputs. Then eventually I need a sub amp, what can I do? Buy a receiver with 3 or 4 preamp out's? Does 4 channel amps usually only have 1 pre-amp in?
:dunno:

It depends on the head unit. some JVC's have 4, and some pioneers do. i don't know about the rest. your best bet i would think is to go to a place like tweeter. circuit city or another place that does installs and get an opinion from them. honestly though, you might not even need a 4 channel depending on the stereo you get. mine puts out 28 watts rms to my speakers and they get louder than i'd like somtimes with no trouble. And if you want speaker suggestions, id say polks or JL's. ive had both and they both perform well.

my alpine puts 60w per channel and its loud. you dont really need to install an external amp unless you want to make big sound, and if you are putting it in yourself its alot easier to just get a good radio with a high output.

Do yourself a favor and buy a nice 5 channel amp now, and make sure your head unit has outs for front/rear/sub. the sub out is normally a nonfade out. Make sure too when looking at amps get one with front/rear/sub inputs. it will come together much better sound wise that way.If it helps to know, i am running 2 zr240s and a zr1000 in mine currently and wish I had gone with one 5 or 6 channel amp straight away.

If you buy a QUALITY 4 Channel amp, you can run all 4 speakers thought it for now and then when you buy a sub you switch the rear speakers to your head unit, Use 2 front channels of the amp for the front speakers and then bridge the rear channels mono for your sub. Works pretty well for the money. This is a upgrade we do to new cars all the time. Its nice because there is not a lot of room for two amps.

Back