• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No more clunk or DW!

cablesmurf

NAXJA Forum User
Alright...the hardcore's are going to bash this, but here goes...

I had a clunk in the front pass. side and couldn't figure out what it was...I checked everything...and I mean everything. Two shop looked at it while it was in for unrelated work (Gear swap and rear main seal) and niether of then could see a problem. i got to gettin tonight and crawled all around under the Jeep and found the first problem.

1 - Trackbar bolt at the frame end was stripped in the nut and causing a clunk while turning the steering wheel side to side. It was my own fault really cuase when I originally put the TB in, I broke the original bolt and replaced it with a grade 5 standard bolt as a temp fix, then forgot about it.Whoops, my bad. Anyways...fixed that.
thumbsup.gif

2 - I had previously added a 1 1/4" spacer to the front, which in turn, threw off the alignment a bit. So I did a crude alignment in the garage with a tape measure. So, fixed (for now, I'll take it to a shop after I install my RK long arms).
brows.gif

3 - Removed the RE superflex LCA's and replaced them with Procomp LCA's with new Poly bushings. ( I had done this on my 95 ZJ and it fixed my DW problem so I thought I'd give it a try). As it turns out, the Pass. side RE LCA had some play in the SF joint, in turn causing a clunk/rattle going over bumps. (this one REALLY annoyed me). Tah da! fixed.
rock.gif

The LCA fix is a temp one, cause I have a RK long arm upgrade coming soon to smooth out the ride, but for now...I am extremly please with the Jeep. It was to the point that I didn't even want to drive it, it bothered me so badly. I feel like I just won a long, drawn out battle.
driving.gif

The las thing I have to sayis...I am very happy with my new gears...going to 4:56's was a good decision.
grinyes.gif

And because someone goona ask...specs are in my sig.

97' XJ Country, RE 4.5" SF lift, 31" FC II's, 4:56's, H&T SYE, C4x4 rear bumper w/tire carrier, modified Warriorproducts front bumper and whole list of go fast parts...

Compliments of your friendly neighborhood cablesmurf

Check out my Powerlifting video...

http://whiteknight.scriptmania.com/cablesmurf.wmv

Last edited:
Serious. I have two fixed SF lowers that need a home. I swapped them out for adjustables when I did my DB install. PM me.

Back