• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Switch

Hallo. I fixed mine. After pull off the lower panel. You can take out your knob,when you push a little pin under the switch. Then the bolt in the front with a large screwdriver. To disconnect the plug is a sometimes a pita.
Watch the little one for the ground. There are several different switches with difference in boltfixings!. Greetings

What year is your XJ?

I'v done a few pre 97 installs. It's tight getting under the dash, i usually remove the drivers seat to make it easier. Check the spade terminal count on the switch, they are different by years.

I bought a new Wells switch for not too much at AZ.

First suggestion, take the lower knee panel out(grey, tan, red, whatever color yours could be, and be careful of the two control units, and relay block(one is for delay wipers, I am not sure what the other is for-its on the end under the glovebox area.) Working under the dash, there is a large hole left to push in on the release for the knob. Pull the knob out and then you have to unscrew the outer retainer nut from the switch. I took out my dash cluster assembly, as it was way easier to hold onto everything, and maneuver my fat hands around in the tiny space. Take careful note as to how the wires go on it, and make sure the ground goes back where it should. Most of the rest is straightforward. Takes some time, but it really pisses you off when you change it out and find out both of your headlights blew at the same time. I have went through more headlights in the last 2 years than I have on all my cars put together.

After a couple nights of getting home with the switch just right so the park lights come on and using my IPF driving lights or

I've been doing mine "slowly" during lunch breaks over the last two days, got my lower dash panel out, dash cluster almost out.

The little spring loaded release for the shaft doesn't seem to release, feels like it is hanging up at the last somehow.

Yeah, gauge, just so I can maybe see whats going on or get more fingers in there.

You can't really get to it from the top. Has to be from the bottom. Just remove the lower dash panel. Remove the stalk. Unscrew nut with big screwdriver on front. Pull switch back and down, disconnect main big plug and then the tiny plug which turns on the interior lights when you turn hte knob all of hte way to the left.

Blaine B. said:
You can't really get to it from the top. Has to be from the bottom. Just remove the lower dash panel. Remove the stalk. Unscrew nut with big screwdriver on front. Pull switch back and down, disconnect main big plug and then the tiny plug which turns on the interior lights when you turn hte knob all of hte way to the left.

:arrowl: Right, I'm stuck at -remove the stalk- Not sure how hard I want to try and force it?

generally you have to pull the shaft all the way out to the "headlights on" position then push the little button in and pull the shaft the rest of the way out. even doing it in that exact order, mine was still a b*tch to get out, it required much wiggling and pulling to get it free. make sure you're pushing the button absolutely as far in as you can get it to go.

Hey man, I just did this on Saturday. Like you were saying, I had to remove my cluster also. I had to fiddle with the stalk a little but while I had the button pressed in. Pulled it the whole way out, then pressed the button (you may have to fiddle with the button also) and then just fiddled with the stalk for a bit.

If nothing else, I'd cut it off so you can at least get the old switch out and run down and check if the "Help" section of your local parts store has the same thing.

I had to pull the gage cluster to get to mine. Could not get to the release button from below.

My coworker seemed to have an easier time, I must have loosened it up for him! he said he pulled it out pushed button harder - it moved some more - pushed it harder again - then it came the rest of the way.

Now - the harness plug for the switch was melted and the dash lights don't work with the new switch in :banghead: maybe just a blown fuse when it melted? hope I can get a new harness plug if needed. can always splice in spade connectors i guess.

When I was having issues, a kind member on this board mailed me an unmelted plug.

Send me your address and I'll mail it your way.

You'll just have to solder up all of the wires in the correct fashion. To your existing harness, that is.

But yes, check all of the fuses as well. That's what my problem ended up being too, besides a bad headlight switch.

Back