• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tired of waiting!!!!!

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
ok, well i am surrounded by jeeps. My best friend has a GC, his brother has a GC, i have an XJ, my GF has an XJ and my GF's Brother has a GC. Now whenever i ride with them, all there jeeps start right up. Now i know mines an 88, but my gf's is a 93 and even when its freezing cold outside, hers starts right up, while mine will crank on the first try but its rough and takes like 2-3 seconds. even when its warm outside, it cranks and fires on the first try but it still takes the 2-3 seconds, now i know its probably just a jeep thing but i hate it. what could it be or what could i possibly do to make it start faster and not as rough when its cold?

It starting up fine after a second or two leads me to think it's just taking a bit to get fuel. It sounds like your fuel pump and/or lines are sluggish. I had a similar issue with an old Ford and poured half a bottle of rubbing alcohol into the tank and it fixed it up within two days of use.

That's normal for renix/pre 91 4.0s.

My 93 H.O. does the same thing. It is the check valve in the fuel pump that is letting fuel pressure bleed back into the tank. I've heard of some installing a BMW in-line check valve with some success.

corbinafly said:
That's normal for renix/pre 91 4.0s.

You are correct sir. ALL RENIX's do that as far as I know and I have had a few.Other than that search "RENIX files".

Turn the key to run for 5 or 10 seconds before cranking it. My 2000 has a new pump and is in good shape. If I crank it right away it has to crank a little before it will fire. If you let the pressure build first it fires real quick.

WE DONT HAVE 7-11's IN NC! :) but i do the turn key thing and let the fuel pump turn on and create some pressure yet it still does it. I just hate when its cold outside, the crank sounds really weak and then it starts really rough but smooths out within a second.

Sounds like a typical Renix, but adding a good injector cleaner can't hurt. Make certain your charging system/battery are up to snuff and check your grounds to make certain they are not corroded.

My 89 Renix does the same thing. In the three years I've owned it, I've rebuilt the fuel injectors, tuned it up, replaced all the vacuum lines, replaced the fuel pump (it was whining), and replaced the manifold gasket and EGR. All of these things were done solely due to mileage (currently at 221k) not because of any particular issue. That being said, any time I jump in and try to crank it up, it takes about five seconds. If I turn the key to "on" and wait a few seconds, it fires up with ZERO hesitation. So, I've gotten into the habit of getting in my Jeep, turning the key to "on", putting my seatbelt on, and then starting it up. Works every time, even in -30 Montana winter mornings. Try to get in the same habit, and you won't have to be jeolous of your friends and families newer Jeeps.

In my opinion, some of the little quirks (such as listed above) are part of the enjoyment in owning a Jeep. HTH.

a_medics_XJ said:
maybe put that gas line anti-freeze, and test battery and starter to see if they are still working good?

I would never, ever use that crap in a fuel injected vehicle. Chevron Techron, or STP in a pinch. Gas line antifreeze ( I think Heat is the brand I'm thinking of) has a tendency to make your injectors clog and or leak and could do more harm than good. If you've got a good fuel filter and don't run crap gas, you'll do way more for your engine than adding that crap. Next time you go to buy a bottle of Heat (or other brand) do a quick calulation in your head. A bottle that costs you $2.50 is equal to .125 cents for 20 gallons. For .05 to .10 cents per gallon, you could put one tankful of mid or super grade gas. Just food for thought. Chevron Techron (about $9.00 a bottle) gets put in my gas tank once every 2500 miles (every oil change). Other than that, I go 3-4 tanks of regular unleaded to 1 tank of mid-grade. Never once had any problems with pinging or hesitation.

Back