• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana or chrysler ?

impetus-93xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have done every search and checked every axel chart but still dont know if this is a dana or a chysler axel. Rear end of a 93 stock xj country ... no mods ever.

in this scenario pictures would be appropriate. I am going to guess on a Dana though, my magic 8 ball agrees, and since neither one of us has any pictures of the axle in question...

this is like the 5th one of these post in like 2 weeks...

SEARCH!!!!

:soapbox:

flat bottom or round? abs or not?

8.25 looks like an egg the 35 has sharper edges the 44 looks like a stop sign you don't have a 44 but dana axles are similar so a stop sign will give you an idea.

mjdavis31 said:
8.25 looks like an egg the 35 has sharper edges the 44 looks like a stop sign you don't have a 44 but dana axles are similar so a stop sign will give you an idea.

you're a little mixed up. the chrysler 8.25 looks like a stop sign at the bottom. the dana 35 is round. my guess would be te dana 35.

Take a look at this thread I made a couple weeks ago. Mine is definately an 8.25, but someone posted a picture of the D35 as well. You should be able to tell the difference after this.

impetus-93xj said:
I have searched ass clown.... round bottom .. no abs

First of all, it's not nice to call ppl names. Besides, it's a really good way to ensure that no one will want to help you out.

Secondly, please realize that you are not the first person to ever ask this question on this, or any other Jeep related board. In fact, it's such a popular question that even *I* get tired of it and I haven't been here that long.

As for your answer:

There are 2 possibilities:

1) D35C
2) ChrysCo 8.25

In all liklihood you have the ChrysCo 8.25 27 spline because you say your XJ is non-ABS. After 1991 the D35C was used only on ABS equipped XJs. the D44 was used on only SOME tow package equipped XJs from 1987-1989.

And if you're still in doubt:

watermark_325707_182_full.jpg

OK, in this pic the top axle is a Dana-35, the bottom axle is a 8.25. The 8.25 has a much larger cover and has a lip under the cover and squared off. The D-35 is smooth under the cover and rounded.

axleswap6me8.jpg

thank you all very much and am sorry about the profanity. It's just that you get tired of being told to " search !!! " when you already have. there is many threads on the subject and none as clear as xjtrailrider's reply. thanks

Here is a quick way to identify your axle (or a junkyard axle) from above. Take a hubcap or wheel off, and look at the axle end. Apologies for the crappy photographs. It was dark, so my crappy little digicam would not focus well, and the Dana was frozen to the ground, but I outlined the pertinent shapes of the indentations:

axleendspairdw8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back