• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Bearings???

RªMB°

NAXJA Forum User
I have a noise coming out of the front end of my jeep when I drive around everywhere now. It sounds similar to a turbo diesel. Do I need to lub-a-dub or new wheel bearing time?

87 Jeep Cherokee 2.5" lift on 31x10.50 with a D44 rear and D30 front open/open and a NP242 T-Case.

RªMB° said:
I have a noise coming out of the front end of my jeep when I drive around everywhere now. It sounds similar to a turbo diesel. Do I need to lub-a-dub or new wheel bearing time?

87 Jeep Cherokee 2.5" lift on 31x10.50 with a D44 rear and D30 front open/open and a NP242 T-Case.

Typically; if you can hear the bearing, it's beyond lubrication. Besides, the front wheel bearings on the XJ are sealed units - and can't be serviced (I think there are some unit bearing styles that can be repacked, but they're uncommon.)

Expect to pay $100-120 for new units. Get Timken - it damn sure does matter.

Is it the wheel bearing im hearing though or something else?

RªMB° said:
Is it the wheel bearing im hearing though or something else?

Don't know - you haven't really described the noise or the circumstances under which you hear it ("it sounds like a turbo Diesel" isn't much to go on...)

Typically, you'll hear wheel bearings when you speed up or slow down. Universal joints (at the wheels) can be heard when you change the operating angle of the shaft - when you turn the wheels. It's pretty quiet in 2WD, and a bit more pronounced in 4WD. If you hear it constantly, it's probably a howl in either the differential carrier bearings or in the pinion bearings.

It takes information to get information, so be sure to give what you think we'll need when you ask. If you're not sure what we need, then give everything that seems relevant - and we'll handle the rest. It's a bit more difficult to "troubleshoot by remote control" like this, since we're not there hearing what you hear and seeing what you see. So, it takes more description than you're probably used to - but you'll get there.

Its a consistant sound while driving various speeds on road highway etc. The noise seems only to be coming from driver side and the Jeep seems to have some "vibrations" since ive noticed the humming might be linked might not be. Havent a clue if comming from pass side also guess is probably not.

You can jack up the front axle support with lack stands and check up/down play in the wheel hub bearing
if worn enough to make that much noise it should also have "play" in the hub
that you can see and feel.also you may be able to feel and hear the worn bering while spinning the wheel as well. if you find thats the issue you can buy them here.

http://www.jjprc.com/jeep/513107.htm

I buy from this company and they are Timken units top quality and my buddies have ordered from same company and we are all very happy with them.

While driving around today I noticed the noise more with foot on gas and the second I let off I barely could hear it. Also while on the freeway I heard it 75MPH, but on curves I didnt notice it. Is it possible it might be the front U-Joints since I have a 242 T-Case?

Got back from buddies house with my jack and found a huge amount of play in the front driver side wheel. Time to get some wheel bearings! Can anything happen from not fixing immediately? Ill probably have to wait a month or two.

You know, if you buy ABS wheel bearings....simply remove the sensor and squirt grease in through the sensor's hole.

Might be a good idea, even if you don't have ABS. One of my hubs is for an ABS. I simply removed the sensor, squirted as much grease through the ABS sensor hole as I could, and capped it with RTV.

Just a thought for your next wheel bearings!

Thanks Blaine Ill look into it.
Can anything happen if I dont change the crappy wheel bearings?

You mean like your wheel falling off? That would be the beginning of a really bad day. Relace them ASAP.

If you've never done it before, do a search on it. They can be a real bear to get off. I had to soak one side in PB and pound it for 2 days with a 4lb sledge from the back to get it out. Do not use a puller - you could separate the bearings (don't ask me how I know this). Get some replacement bolts to do the pounding on or you will detroy yours (don't ask me how I know this). Also - you will probably need a 12 point socket. Good luck!

Great !!!!!
Hope the XJ Gods are watchin over it until next weekend :bawl:

Back