• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hp dana44 question

aaronsxj

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have any tips on what the best way is to cutting of the weld on wedges (radius arm c's) of a mid-70's ford hp d44. do i cut directly into the c's or grind the welds away? trying to prep the axle for a tnt truss i recently purchased, also any knuckle ideas? what year and style chevy stuff works, or are reid-racing knuckles the way to go for high steer. thank alot.

aaronsxj said:
anyone have any tips on what the best way is to cutting of the weld on wedges (radius arm c's) of a mid-70's ford hp d44. do i cut directly into the c's or grind the welds away? trying to prep the axle for a tnt truss i recently purchased, also any knuckle ideas? what year and style chevy stuff works, or are reid-racing knuckles the way to go for high steer. thank alot.

I'm using mid 80's Dodge outers and flattops for high steer on the HP D44 I'm building. As for the mounts I used a torch followed up with a 4" grinder.

I'm building my own truss and a 3-link. The T&T truss is way cheaper and easy to build.

blow them off with a torch if you can get to one and know how to use it or have a buddy nthat know how do it. grinding sucks I torched mine and my truss is on the way.

I cut right at the weld:
P1010261.jpg

and came out with this:
P1010265.jpg

What bolt pattern are you trying to achieve?

i figured i would go 5 on 5.5, i think thats what the d44 is all ready. i thought i heard chevy stuff would work, didn't know if you had to change bolt pattern or if you could turn chevy 6 lug into 5 lug? kinda on my own with all this stuff, don't realy have anyone to work with.

i forgot to say, the reason i was also thinking 5 on 5.5 is because i have an 87 xj d44 which i could get wheel spacers for and change to 5 on 5.5 to match.

thats why I'm using the Dodge parts. they are 5 x 5.5 and are complete.

check out Mr N's site as listed above.. You can use Jeep/chevy flat tops outer knuckles and get the early chevy spindles to keep your ford rotor-hub combo with the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern... All this stuff is talked about a lot...

Back