• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC drop crossmember stud blues

nates94xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 3" OME HD lift on a 94 with a 231 TC. I was getting a lot of whinning noise under deceleration, which I assumed was driveshaft vibration, so I dropped the TC about 3/8" using big fat square washers. That's as far as I could go and still use the existing stud, but with longer bolts. It fixed most of the deceleration whine but not all. In an effort to get more washers in there and drop it a little more ,I tried the two nut system and a stud puller to no avail. Will a tiny bit of vibration on deceleration kill my ujoints quickly? If I break the the studs with vise grips, the next step, how hard is it to drill and tap the broken studs?

A machinist owes me a favor, I've thought about asking him to make me something like a tapered lugnut that I could use on the existing studs.

If you have a welder, weld a nut to the stud. If not use the 2 nut method but use some heat and some PB Blaster or Deep Creep to shock it. Go slow and work the stud going back and forth. It will break loose. Heat is the trick and take your time. Took me 2 hours with a welder and heat to get one of mine out. The other took 2 minutes with no heat needed. You just never know.

I PB'd it a couple of times, but maybe I should be more persistent.

My lift is a half inch low in front. If I even that out could that help with the DS vibes?

Back