• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remote camping in Michigans UP?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Anyone familiar with Michigans UP?

My son and i are considering taking a run out there this Sept. Looking for secluded beach camping, remote two tracks etc.

Interested primarily in the areas between Pictured Rocks, Marquette and Porcupine Mountain. I heard some good stuff about Keweenaw Peninsula as well.

Have any good links of the areas? Trip reports?

Beach camping is hard to come by. I once camped on the southeast side of the Keewenaw peninsula on a beach with some othere 4x4 friends, but I'm not sure it was completely legal. I camped there via a sailboat once too. I've also found a cool spot northeast of Lanse on the shore, but again, I'm not real sure on legality. :) I say just head up and do some exploring. You'll never know what you'll find. I might be up for joining you, so keep me in mind. Jeff

I have seen Michigan Magazine on RFD chanel 231 on dish they have a cool web site check it out I had to quite going to maney blue eyed brown haird chicks up there
WOW Big Sal :doh:

I'm a student at MTU (So what do we do on weekends? We go get lost in the woods), the 4 wheelers are a good group of guys. As for a beach on the southWEST side of the Keweenaw is Agate Beach at Misery Bay. There isn't an abundance of legal camping but there are some state campgrounds and whatnot. No links to maps that I know of. You will find logging roads, and some select actual places to wheel, the MTU 4 wheelers site should help. Any other questions, let me know.

Thanks guys. Considering the cost of fuel we will be canceling this trip, among others.

I'm putting all my efforts and spare change into Utah for spring 09.

Was camping out near five mile point this past weekend, if you are considering this trip to eventually happen at some point.

Back