• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob with a few questions...

RVA16v

NAXJA Forum User
First off thanks to Tim for pointing me in this direction... now. I picked up an 89 XJ and before I go tearing stuff apart, i was hoping for a little advice... 4 high works, but I cant get the selector to go into 4 low, in what we be any other car, feels like the tie rods are toasted (sloppy steering) but they look and feel fine upon inspection. I think the shocks are toasted, suggestion on a good brand for replacement? and heres a pic of my new toy for views

DSCF2686.jpg

DSCF2684.jpg

Put some shocks and a steering stabilizer on it. Check the track bar( the bar that goes from the frame to the axle) for slop. Then check the upper and lower control arms.

The shocks that you use are up to you, If you are going to lift it in a year or so, just buy some cheap shocks to get you by now. If you plan on leaving it stock or only lifting it a couple of inches, get some Rancho's or something of decent quality.

do u know how ur steering box is?
u can test it by having the XJ running and standing out side the XJ turn the steering wheel back and forth slowly and see how much it takes for the tires to turn.

as for ur 4low, check the linkage and see if looks bent or binding somewhere.

jeepdude10000 said:
do u know how ur steering box is?
u can test it by having the XJ running and standing out side the XJ turn the steering wheel back and forth slowly and see how much it takes for the tires to turn.

Im on it...but I cant find a manual in town currently, so I have no specs or repair info to go by. I'll check the linkages out right now...thanks man.

Re: Noob with a few questions...(off topic)

Nice Scirocco! Euro lights and bumpers...what year? I learned how to drive a stick on my Dad's '75, bought an '81 for my 1st car, had an '83 in college...

-Jon

my 4 lo postion was stuck too. i just sprayed some pb on the linkage and worked it back and forth (and pushed my leg on the lever towards the passenger side do get to the 4 lo spot) after a while it freed itself up.

Back