• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil In Radiator Fluid

Wounded XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased a new XJ to replace the one a totaled in Moab. While checking the fluids I noticed oil in the radiator fluid. I checked the engine oil multiple times and it is clean. The jeep is not overheating, but I have not operated it on the road. I have looked up the problem, but did not find anyone having the same problem with a XJ. I found a few sites out there were people were having this problem in other vehicles and this is what I found. I have a cracked head, bad head gasket, cracked block or the transmission cooler in the radiator has gone bad. Any one out experience this with their XJ and if so what ended up to be the problem?

All the jeeps ive seen with old coolant gets that build up in the bottom of overflow...

I pulled the head off and everything looks great with the naked eye. I think this engine has been rebuilt as the jeep has 170k on it and it is in great shape. I will run the head down to a machinist next week, but I think the problem is with the cooling system. The fluid in the bottom of the radiator is black, dark brown, and light brown.

While the greatest amount was at the bottom of the radiator I saw small amounts of this when I was draining the fluid.
100_0271.jpg

looks like old rad fluid sludge. put a drop into some water, look for rainbow maybe.
seems more like sludge, crud from old rad, never had a flush done.

As mentioned it's pretty common for that sludge to form in the bottom of the overflow tank if the coolant is real old.

One other possibility is that the previous owner added some of that stop leak crap at one point or another.

That looks like radiator rust to me. Anti-freeze has a rust inhibitor in it that breaks down over time (the main reason why it needs to be replaced somewhat often). I would just giv that a good flushing with Prestone flush and some distilled water, then refill with 50/50 premix. You can usually get distilled water at the grocer in 2.5 or 5 gallon jugs btw.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm cleaning everything up since the person I bought it from did not put any bolt in the valve cover and oil is everywhere. Once my new header comes in I will put it all back together and flush out the radiator. I give an update once it is back together.

Back