• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pop from drivers side tire

bigwillxj

NAXJA Forum User
I changed my brakes a few days ago and when i was coming home from christmas break I noticed this very loud pop coming from my front end. I got home and realized it is in the drivers side of the axle. It occurs when i drive it for more than about 30 minutes and gets progressively worse. It only occurs at slower speed when i do not apply the brakes. As soon as i do hit the brakes it stops and rides smooth. Every thing in the brakes appears to be tight. Anybody have any ideas?

What year XJ?
On my 98, I went out and bought some new brake pads (shoes? Whatever...) a few weeks after I bought it. After driving a while on them I had to hit them hard to avoid an accident, and I heard a pop. After that, a cyclic sound and metal grating. Got it home less than a mile away, and took a look. The calipers used that year were 2 piece, the surface that the brake pads grab onto seperated from the hub portion. This was a recall apparently, and I had it fixed as such.

Not saying this is your problem, but ya never know. Or at least you won't until you get down in there and look.

Back