• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bigger Lift Questions????

95JeepChero

NAXJA Forum User
currently i have a 4" lift on my truck with 33"s and i wanted to go bigger..... i wanted to go with Rusty's 8" Long Travel Kit for my XJ, im also gunna get Rusty's SYE kit with CV drive shaft, then later on after the kit is installed i want to get a set of 35"s or larger.......but i need to know what else im going to have to get or change on the truck to make this size lift work....any input would be great.

Maybe a new front drive shaft, extended break lines, stronger axles (to go withthe bigger meats), longer bump stops or trim the front/rear fenders, need a beefy trac bar that uses bushing/heim at frame end.

Rustys shocks do suck once you can compair them first hand to OME/Bilstein

Last edited:
What are your axle configurations? Open,locked, what gears? D44 ,8.25, Ford, etc. stock shafts?

j33pownr said:
Maybe a new front drive shaft, extended break lines, stronger axles (to go withthe bigger meats), longer bump stops or trim the front/rear fenders, need a beefy trac bar that uses bushing/heim at frame end.

Rustys shocks do suck once you can compair them first hand to OME/Bilstein

i was looked at the trac bar from rustys it was a trac bar and frame strengthener.....and the SYE kits comes with a CV drive shaft is that for the rear or to extend the SYE, also with the 8" kit i planned on getting it with Blistein 5150 shocks

Last edited:
You would know if you had lockers so your open with probably 3.55s. XJ through 96 have the desired HPd30, 96-01 have a LPd30. If going to 35s you will want cryoed gears 4.88s with cromoly shafts and 760 u-joints, otherwise you will be breaking s**t way to often. And thats if you drive easy. Do a search here to see if you have the desired 29 spline 8.25 or the 27 spline version. You might want to get aftermarket axles for the rear as well.
OR
The alternative is d44/8.8 combo and you will be good to go. Which would most likely come with highsteer and hubs instead of unit bearings. Probably be the same price with better equipment and easier to upgrade later.

As for the rustys track bar, I run the HD version lifted 4.5" and been lucky. Most people here who wheel hard have broke it. So do yourself a favor and get another one, I will be.

You have a lot of research to do. :) Buying a lift kit is only the very very beginning, and 25% of the cost of going tall with 35's.

Expect to spend a couple grand to do it right.

There are very few places you can't go with 4.5" and 33's.

cal said:
You have a lot of research to do. :) Buying a lift kit is only the very very beginning, and 25% of the cost of going tall with 35's.

Expect to spend a couple grand to do it right.

that wus wut i was figuring on spending at least 3 to 4Gs for everything just needed t o know wut else i need to make sure the kit works

The lift.
Tires
Wheels
steering (stock steering does not safely work at 8" of lift)
SYE
rear driveshaft
gears
probably a brake upgrade

Then depending on what you intend to do with the vehicle, there are a lot of directions to go from there. If you IM me or PM me a number, we could talk for hours about various options - but they are dependent on your intended use.

j33pownr said:
You would know if you had lockers so your open with probably 3.55s. XJ through 96 have the desired HPd30, 96-01 have a LPd30. If going to 35s you will want cryoed gears 4.88s with cromoly shafts and 760 u-joints, otherwise you will be breaking s**t way to often. And thats if you drive easy. Do a search here to see if you have the desired 29 spline 8.25 or the 27 spline version. You might want to get aftermarket axles for the rear as well.
OR
The alternative is d44/8.8 combo and you will be good to go. Which would most likely come with highsteer and hubs instead of unit bearings. Probably be the same price with better equipment and easier to upgrade later.

As for the rustys track bar, I run the HD version lifted 4.5" and been lucky. Most people here who wheel hard have broke it. So do yourself a favor and get another one, I will be.

If i were to get a Dana 44 i wouldnt have to upgrade the gear or are you talkin about the front with getting 4.88s

so wut you guys are saying is to get a dana 44 for the rear but even after that gear up anyway to 4.56 or 4.88.....and in the front the dana 30 is good but beef up the gears to 4.88s?????

get rusty's high steer kit too. i'm running that with dual steering stabilizers now on only 4.5" of lift because the stock steering sucked when turning 33" boggers. it was almost like having no power steering at all

mudslinger4x4 said:
get rusty's high steer kit too. i'm running that with dual steering stabilizers now on only 4.5" of lift because the stock steering sucked when turning 33" boggers. it was almost like having no power steering at all

IIRC, he can't run Rusty's steering. He's in NJ, and if he gets called in for hi-rise inspection heims wont pass. (Or so I've read a couple dozen times from NJ peeps).

j33pownr said:
XJ through 96 have the desired HPd30, 96-01 have a LPd30. Do a search here to see if you have the desired 29 spline 8.25 or the 27 spline version.

Some of your info is off a tad on the axles.

Stay away from Rustys Trac-bars and long arm kits. The trac-bars are very weak. The long arm kits use ACME threads which are a slopy thread by design. Otherwise the long arms are nice.

Front Axle
  • 1984 – 1996 : Dana 30, High Pinion, Reverse Cut, 27-spline axleshafts (1989 – 1995 : with ABS used 5-297x universal joints, non-ABS had 5-260x universal joints.
  • 1996 – 1999 : Dana 30, High Pinion, Reverse Cut, 297x/760 universal Joint, 27-spline axleshafts.
  • 2000 – 2001 : Dana 30, Low Pinion, Standard Cut, 297x/760 universal Joint, 27-spline axleshafts.
Rear Axle
  • 1984 – 1989 : Dana 35, non c-clip, with (ABS) or non-ABS.
  • 1990 – 1996 : Dana 35, c-clip, ABS or non-ABS.
  • 1997 – 2001 : Dana 35, c-clip, ABS.
  • 1991 – 1996 : Chrysler 8.25", c-clip, non-ABS, 27-spline axleshafts.
  • 1996 – 2001 : Chrysler 8.25", c-clip, non-ABS, 29-spline axleshafts.
  • 1987 – 1990 : Dana 44, non-abs, 30-spline axleshafts.

yeah i searched all that out and found that i need to upgrade the gears....starting by getting a dana 44 and then 4.88 gears for front and back so thats where im gunna start then get a locker

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen anywhere in this thread what year your XJ is?
cal said:
I couldn't agree more, Cal. Where can 35's go that 33's can't? My experience has been that it's very, very few places.

The best advice I've ever seen on how to build your rig is to start with tire size. Pick how big you want your meats, and then the rest of the build will naturally fall into place around that, i.e. how much lift to clear them, fender trimming, bumpstops, what axle upgrades you'll need, gears, shafts, steering, brakes, etc, etc.

If you've got some money to play with, do a LOT of research and ask a lot of questions before making any final decisions. That way you're not coming back later and fixing things you don't like or correcting mistakes.

If you're on a budget, do a LOT research and ask a lot of questions and, well you get the point. :D:D

thats what i plan to do .....ive heard alot about upgrading the axels and gear ratios so thats wut i think im most likely gunna go with first....that seems to be the concensess.....so im looking it dana 44 with 4.88s front and rear then lockers

Back