• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Misaligned Doors

So iv had my XJ for almost 2 years, Its a '96. About 6 mounths after buying it the passenger door becomes misaligned and would not stay shut without sombody holding it while driving. I fixed that right away. Shorlty after that my drivers door top hinge rips from the body witch caused the door to drop down like "Lambo doors" but the other dirction. I thought OK ill just weld the hinge back to the body, i did. That worked for a little while then it happend again! I did the same thing as the first time, put a floor jack under the door, jack it up to were it will shut and weld. Well that worked for a little while untill the hinge on the door side rips off. So i welded it. About an hour ago the top hinge rip apart were the pin goes threw the center of bofh parts of the hinge! My opitons are......
1. Take it to a shop and pay big bucks for them to fix it.
2. Rip off both front doors and buy tube doors, and be unsecure in parking lots and what not..
3. Git rid of the jeep and my problem would be over.
Anyone Have this problem? What did you do? Thanks..

why do these hinges suck so much? almost anyone with an XJ has had problems with the top hinge welds coming free. is this limited to a certain year range or all. ive never seen this problem with other cars/trucks/suvs.

-96JeepSpeed- said:
That is what i was thinking. The only problem is i dont have a welder of my own. I used the the one at my schools metal shop, Witch i cant use anymore because i dont go there anymore.

You're down by San Diego right? I seem to remember meeting you @ cleghorn and talking about door problems.

Give me a call this weekend and i can set you up with someone that can help you out.

Well i got the problem fixed. The factory weld riped off the hinge itself not the body. The body was in fine shape. My boss let me use his welder, and i ran a nice hot all the way around the hinge. The feels solid as a rock, but only time will tell how it holds up. Thanks for the help.

Back