• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help please

kamakazi bush bum

NAXJA Forum User
although ive been wheeling with family and friends most my life ive never built my own so this is my first camping/fishing/exploration rig and im having trouble choosing between a 4.5" or 3" suspension lift, it has to remain a DD 4 now but i still enjoy mud, crossing rivers, climing gnarly washouts and landslides. i just dont know if im going to have to change everything else as well. i would like to run 32" or 33" tires. please help i dont want to spend a ton of money

To clear 32's or 33's you'll need to go with a 4.5 in lift. If you go with a 3in lift you would need to do some fender mods. to clear those size tires. I have a 3in skyJacker lift on mine and clear 31-10.50's fine only with a little rubbing on the back of the fender flare. i just had to rim about an inch of the bottom corner with a utility knife.

you could do an RE 3.5 lift with 32's for that.

just remember, the bigger the tire, the less power the engine will be able to produce unless you regear the axles.

ok well firt off if you want to save money you might want to stick with 31" tires to avoid needing to regear your axles... esp if it is going to be a DD. gears are pricey. and 31's are really a very good size tire for most light wheeling, my brother and dad both have 31's on thier jeeps, and with good driving they are more than capable. that being said, for what you are doing i would get a good 3.5" suspension lift. Rubicon Express makes a good full rear leaf kit that wont require you to do any crazy modding. (link) keep in mind these are just my humble opinions. i would generally stay away from rusty's... i had a lift from him and i replaced just about everything on it. Rough Country also makes a 3 and 4.5" lift, but those are add-a-leafs so i wouldnt reccomend it, but it is cheaper for sure (link). there are other kits out there as well, but in general for your purposes i say good 31" tires, and 3.5 inches of lift.http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_suspension_lift_kits.html

when i go through rivers there are always those unseen rocks that could potentialy reek havoc on my undercarage so i want to instal skid plates. will i still have adequet clearence with a 3.5" lift

RE 3.5 usually give more height than 3.5, but if your that concerned than go 4.5. after that, your looking at alot more money and issues.

going through rivers also takes some concideration when building up. you now need to protect axles from water, low alternator, snorkle....

the list will bet bigger and bigger before you know it.

the first thing to hit anything will be your front differential. so maybe a beefier differential cover would be a good idea. depending on your jeep your axle vent tubes might already be raised from stock (mine were). what kind of water crossings are we talking about here?

RE just stands for Rubicon express which does give more than 3.5, and is a quality kit

if you want pretty comprehensive waterproofing you will need
1. snorkle of some sort to prevent hydrolocking your engine
2. extended vents for axles
3. extended vents for transfer case
the alternator issue depends on the river, if it is super muddy and has lots of sediment then you might have issues, but clear water usually wont effect it too badly as long as your connections are greased well.

kamakazi bush bum said:
2000 tires and lift

Just last summer I did the RE 4.5", plus Teraflex SYE, Rear Drive shaft, and 31.5's on 16 inch black steelies from Craigs list for just over $2k.

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rubicon-express-superflex-re6130-free-shocks-p-36.html

1050 - Lift kit and shocks
300 - SYE
275 - Rear drive shaft (I think that's what I paid).
300 - Tires and Rims (used with about 2-3K miles on them)

Plus shipping... so just over $2k. I love it, but even with only 31.5's, and no fender trimming, I am rubbing quite a bit when flexed. So, I would go with the 4.5 if you want to run 32's. IMO, this kit gives you good road handling for a DD, and does great on the trail.

I haven't regeared yet, and the power loss isn't bad with 31.5s... of course, 32s would be a little worse.

Also, if you do go with the RE 4.5, I would recommend getting some 3/4 to 1 inch coil spacers and install them on the front. That kit has a 5 inch rear and 4.5 inch front lift. I wish I would have, because I am lower in the front.

Last edited:
Back