• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower T-case gears?

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
So is there any other way to get lower t-case gears with out having to spend $1,000 or so?
Atlas = at least $1,000
Tera low 4:1 = again like a grand
KluneV(my fav) = $1,700

And making your own adaptation of 2 whole NP231's is awesome but ive heard alot more complaints than praises unless its your weekend beater strickly for trail use then missing half a floor is just fine.
Maybe im asking too much out of a 50/50 rig but im stubborn and picky, maybe i should start collecting cans and playing a guitar on the street corner for some extra cash?

right now 3.93's i didnt change them they were like that when i got it in stock form, i pulled the cover to check the lube and it was all painmarkered 3.93 on the ring, pinion, and main caps. I have 33's but that is not the point i hope to go for 4:11's but for now i like the way it drives and rides, i really just want lower t-case gears.

94XJ2door5speed said:
So is there any other way to get lower t-case gears with out having to spend $1,000 or so?
Atlas = Starting at $2500,not including shifters and all the other mods like driveshafts.Tera low 4:1 = again like a grand
KluneV(my fav) = $1,700

And making your own adaptation of 2 whole NP231's is awesome but ive heard alot more complaints than praises unless its your weekend beater strickly for trail use then missing half a floor is just fine.
Maybe im asking too much out of a 50/50 rig but im stubborn and picky, maybe i should start collecting cans and playing a guitar on the street corner for some extra cash?
Fixed it for you.You can p/u used Rubi case for under a $1000!

They are 23 spline/long.They fit fine in at least the 95+.

You could always become a man whore and work out of your jeep :D
94XJ2door5speed said:
Atlas = at least $1,000
Tera low 4:1 = again like a grand
KluneV(my fav) = $1,700

CanMan said:
STaK 2 spd is like $1900, includes upgrades, that you have to pay for when you buy an Atlas.
What about the fact that you will need 2 new driveshafts and you rear driveshaft just got alot shorter making driveline angles alot worse than stock.With either your still talking about custom crossmembers and moving the mounts rearward basically meaning its a "one off "now!

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
What about the fact that you will need 2 new driveshafts and you rear driveshaft just got alot shorter making driveline angles alot worse than stock.

Its not like we are running TJ rear driveshafts.

Take another look, they are not that long. 12.89" from mounting surface to yoke end.

http://stak4x4.com/images/STaK_Monster_Box_top.jpg

You can get the Tera 4.1 for a lot cheaper than a grand. www.DC4WD.com call him and get a quote. I got mine for well under a grand and love it.

You can do a Tera 4:1 but you still have a NP231 which is not near as strong as a rubi case which can be had for close to the same price. It will not be a direct bolt in but it should be a fairly easy swap. IIRC the rubi cas is rated at 2 or 3 times the torque that the np231 is.

Racer-X said:
You can do a Tera 4:1 but you still have a NP231 which is not near as strong as a rubi case which can be had for close to the same price. It will not be a direct bolt in but it should be a fairly easy swap. IIRC the rubi cas is rated at 2 or 3 times the torque that the np231 is.

true but I ve never had a problem with mine locked and on 35's. The ruby case does require new yokes as they are 1350's stock and I was never able to find a Ruby case for under a grand when I was looking.

RCP Phx said:
What about the fact that you will need 2 new driveshafts and you rear driveshaft just got alot shorter making driveline angles alot worse than stock.With either your still talking about custom crossmembers and moving the mounts rearward basically meaning its a "one off "now!

Out of curiosity how do you figure? Both 2 speed and 3 speed Stak cases share the same case and as posted are about 13" from mounting serface to rear yoke. Even with a super short SYE you won't get a 231 shorter then a Stak. Now the front driveline may get shorter due to the front yoke moving forward a little bit, but if anything the rear driveline is going to get longer. Also the mounts are part of the transmission to transfer case adapter so there isn't any change there.

jmop said:
Out of curiosity how do you figure? Both 2 speed and 3 speed Stak cases share the same case and as posted are about 13" from mounting serface to rear yoke. Even with a super short SYE you won't get a 231 shorter then a Stak. Now the front driveline may get shorter due to the front yoke moving forward a little bit, but if anything the rear driveline is going to get longer. Also the mounts are part of the transmission to transfer case adapter so there isn't any change there.
My bad,I was still thinking Klune,from previous post.:doh:

One way to get deeper gears and stay around a grand would be to do a 231 doubler to a D300. The 231 doubler is what $350, D300 is $350 or less if you look hard enough, cheap flip kit is $170.

The drivelines may need to be lenghtned or shortened depending but the length of a 231->300 setup looks very close to a stock 231.

One nice thing about going that route is you could upgrade the D300 as needed.

jmop said:
One way to get deeper gears and stay around a grand would be to do a 231 doubler to a D300. The 231 doubler is what $350, D300 is $350 or less if you look hard enough, cheap flip kit is $170.

The drivelines may need to be lenghtned or shortened depending but the length of a 231->300 setup looks very close to a stock 231.

One nice thing about going that route is you could upgrade the D300 as needed.
i like the sounds of this, will it still offer the option of 2 low, not that it is needed people's faces are funny when you tell them you have a 2lo! Anyone heard of making a twin stick out of an NP231?

94XJ2door5speed said:
i like the sounds of this, will it still offer the option of 2 low, not that it is needed people's faces are funny when you tell them you have a 2lo! Anyone heard of making a twin stick out of an NP231?

The STaK will still have 2 low, for front or rear burns.

Twin stick a 231? Possible, but not worthwile. Just get the Tera 2 low kit.

94XJ2door5speed said:

The D300 can be twin sticked so you will have 2low and can even do front digs.

I don't think the 231 can be twin sticked if i remember there is only one fork? I thought the 2 low kits just provided a new shift point like 4l-2l-n-2h-2h or something like that.

Back