• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel tank skid

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm going to order replacement fuel tank, pump and skid plate so that I can put new ones on after I get the rusted rear floorboard on my 91 XJ patched up. The choices I've found so far (shipping not included):

1) factory original gas tank skid for $100

skid-plate_tank-S-52001512.jpg

2) SkidRow for $250

sr_xjgts.jpg

3) DPG Rock Attack for $300

dpg-gts97.jpg

4) Tomken for $200

tms-1341-g.jpg

There are some others I'm guessing. Should I just get the factory original? I don't plan on crushing boulders with my Jeep but I don't want loose zombie parts punching holes in my tank either...

I've got the factory tow hitch (for now) so whichever one I choose will have to share the bolts and holes with that.

Last edited:
factory one has been discontinued from the dealers, you will only able to find a used one.

i have the factory one that i got at a junkyard for 20$. it serves my purpose.

ehall said:
I've got a line on new old stock factory skid, is it good enough for light to moderate protection? I'm mostly worried about protection from debris at construction yards and public dumps flying up into my tank.

yes. have you searched any junkyards? 20$ and a couple cans of spray paint is better than $100

but, if its not to your satifaction, you could add some additional support/strength

Yeah that's a nice tank, so is the other large capacity one. Since I am going to replace pump and everything at the same time I am looking to save coin. Rockauto has an Airtex kit which supposedly includes the pump, sender, and a 20 gallon tank, all for $120! I'm waiting confirmation email but if that's the case I will get Tomken skid plate since it seems to be what the heavy-built guys are using and I can get it pretty cheap at Quadratec. I'll get everything from the pump through the skid plate for less than the cost of the big heavy tanks alone...

I would not use the Airtex pump. Had 3 put into the GC within 2 months. Put in a Mopar unit & never had another problem with it. JIM.

Back