• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coolant temperature sensor

njenn3

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 91 4.0 with the chrysler computer and i want to ditch the idiot light.. problem is that every post i find is either vauge or contradicts another post so i am asking if the coolant temperature sensor on the thermostat housing is just for the gauge or is it for the computer? any help would be appreciated. thanks

The coolant temp sensor in the T-stat housing is for the comp.
The coolant temp SENDER in the HEAD is for the light/guage in the inst panel.There are different SENDERS for the light or the guage panel.
Wayne

There should be three coolant temperature senders for your year.

The one down on the driver's side of the engine block will report to the computer for its own information.

The one in the thermostat housing should be for the auxiliary fan relay.

The one on the driver's side rear of the cylinder head is the one you're interested in - it reports to the gage/light. There are two versions of this - the one for the light is a simple thermal switch, and the one for the gage is a "thermistor" - provides a variable resistance in response to temperature.

Getting rid of the I-D-ten-T light is fairly simple - find a donor gage cluster, get a gage sensor, and spend the hour or so to change both. Et voila! you now have a gage! You can either swap your speedo (if it fits,) or just roll the odo forward/back on the new cluster.

I'd like to talk to you about the old cluster once you get done - I've got some experiments in mind, and I could probably use the shell. You should be able to use any 91-96 cluster.

As far as the sensor, check local prices, then look online. I got my replacements (RENIX, probably the same sensor) from Morris 4x4 Center (www.morris4x4center.com) for about a third of what I'd pay locally...

5-90

How is the quality on those sensors on Morris 4x4. Are they OE Chrysler pieces? I just installed one from Napa and it constantly reads about 40 degrees high.

CreativeSN said:
How is the quality on those sensors on Morris 4x4. Are they OE Chrysler pieces? I just installed one from Napa and it constantly reads about 40 degrees high.

x2. Mine was whacked to start with, but after "fixing" the problem with a new sensor the gauge is worthless.

CreativeSN said:
Im having problems with my gauge swap and the temp gauge. So I have been looking is past threads about temp problems and discovered lots of people having problems with NAPA senders.

Is the only way of checking them the boiling water test?

TORX

be carefull replacing the temp sender. They break easily.

Back