• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tcase fluid level

tcase would eventually seize up cause of heat and metal to metal. Shouldnt effect the speedo cable.

So ur telling us u drove without tcase fluid or what?

bluedevils278 said:
Well I'm thinking mine might be low and that is why I have no 4wd. Any trick way to check the level?

Remove the fill plug and inspect the fluid level. It should be filled to the bottom of the fill hole.

If you get under it, you'll see two Hex style plugs, one on the bottom, and one on the top of the case. I don't recall off hand the size of it, but if you go to your local home depot, lowes etc.. and buy the Hex tool kit, its usually the largest one. Remove the top plug, and top it off if necessary. Fill it, until it starts to seep out, then plug it.

edit: I believe its 13mm, maybe someone can verify

Last edited:
GreenXJ2K said:
If you get under it, you'll see two Hex style plugs, one on the bottom, and one on the top of the case. I don't recall off hand the size of it, but if you go to your local home depot, lowes etc.. and buy the Hex tool kit, its usually the largest one. Remove the top plug, and top it off if necessary. Fill it, until it starts to seep out, then plug it.

edit: I believe its 13mm, maybe someone can verify

Depends on the year of the XJ.....

Older ones had a 30mm nut for both plugs, newer ones had the allen head plugs....But it was a 13mm(IIRC)

To the OP

Yes, Dex III is okay in the T-case....

bluedevils278 said:
What is the OP?
What does IIRC mean?

OP is original poster(in this case, you)
IIRC is If I Recall Correctly.... The older you get, the more of those answers you get.....

Take care removing the fill plug. I could not get mine off and had to tap a 12 mm hole in it. I put in a grade 8 bolt for the time being and will have someone weld it in so I can finally remove the fill plug.

The drain plug came out just fine, however.

I used an adjustable wrench for both. The fill plug was much harder to remove, indeed!

But I didn't use a hammer on the wrench. That would help if it was stuck even more.

Heating arond the plugs would help loosen them up too!

Back