• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP my power window shuts off the radio!?

blackhawk411

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so today I installed a radio and sub in my 98 XJ sport. Install was a breeze but after the fact, I rolled down the windows and as I was entering the fwy, the passenger side window would not roll up. Everytime I hit the switch to roll UP the window the radio shuts off completely (no power). But when I roll it DOWN the window and radio work fine. The only way to roll it back up is reaching over to the passenger side. Oh, the rear window wiper does not work either. WHAT IS CAUSING THIS??? It's driving me crazy. I looked at the owners manual and could not find the fuse for the window switches. I'm guessing it's not the fuse though because they work fine except the UP button on passenger's side. Anyone?

I have not gotten around to troubleshooting my issue- which is similar to yours. If i try to use the passenger window controls at all my fuse blows and shuts down the radio, clock and dome lights. They all run through a 10 fuse IIRC which is right under the dash on the drivers side- should be a red fuse towards the top right of the panel. That will at least get you power back to your stereo and windows.

have you rechecked all of your work to see if you didnt damage or cross any wires. i would also check to see what ground you used. the window controls may use a switched ground. did you use an adapter harness for the head unit or did it connect to the jeep harness without an adapter.

blackhawk411 said:
Okay so today I installed a radio and sub in my 98 XJ sport. Install was a breeze but after the fact, I rolled down the windows and as I was entering the fwy, the passenger side window would not roll up. Everytime I hit the switch to roll UP the window the radio shuts off completely (no power). But when I roll it DOWN the window and radio work fine. The only way to roll it back up is reaching over to the passenger side. Oh, the rear window wiper does not work either. WHAT IS CAUSING THIS??? It's driving me crazy. I looked at the owners manual and could not find the fuse for the window switches. I'm guessing it's not the fuse though because they work fine except the UP button on passenger's side. Anyone?
Sounds like a ground issue

I used an adapter but for grounding I grounded it to the ground on the Cigarette lighter black wire. Perhaps thats whats causing the short. Im guna have to pull the headunit out make sure i didnt cross any wires and re-ground it.

no i grounded the headunit to the cigaratte lighter black(ground)...which is prob causing this i think. maybe. i couldn't find any grounding points near the stereo area

Back