• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cross desert?

Anyone do any cross-desert trips in the Ocotillo, Berrago area? Im going on one in a couple weeks from ocotillo to Berrago, Its only about 40miles off-road. But im looking for somthing a little longer. Anyone know of any good trips?

There is the Mojave Trail, Bradshaw Trail (Ocotillo to Colorado River), El Camino Del Diablo (I guess thats really not the area you were talking about)... just off the top of my head.

Hmm, Ocotillo to Colorado River sounds fun. What part of the Colorado River does the trail end up at? Iv also always wanted to do the Mojave Road, but its pretty far. Iv done alot of trails that bring you back where you started from, just looking for a change. Theres nothing like driving off-road threw the desert for 6 hours and then go out for dinner in a different town you started from.

This one is right up my ally....or neighborhood if you like.

I've done the Borrego Springs to Ocotillo run many times (not to be confused with the BS to OW run.)

There is virtually no wrong way to get here (or there.) Head North or South as your starting point dictates. Take any dirt road heading in the general direction north, although most people take one of the two 'Pole Line' roads, I have had great fun looking for the washes and taking the less traveled route.
Use Google Earth and spend some time looking around first, there are some interesting geographic anomalies that are worth exploring.

When I run from here (Borrego Springs) I make a point of stopping at the Lazy Lizard in Ocotillo for a cold brew (and T-shirt) and on the way home the watering hole is the Iron Door in Ocotillo Wells (staple a dollar to the wall!)

Take a friend, although the roads are well used on big weekends, you could find yourself stuck or broke without much of a chance of someone passing by for hours.

Let me know when you plan on doing this run. The weekends are starting to fill up with misc. off-road trips (Isn't January and Febuary an awsome time in the desert!)

Rick

BTW the Bradshaw Trail starts on the East Shore of the Salton Sea and ends up near Blyth.

Last edited:
-96JeepSpeed- said:
Hmm, Ocotillo to Colorado River sounds fun. What part of the Colorado River does the trail end up at? Iv also always wanted to do the Mojave Road, but its pretty far. Iv done alot of trails that bring you back where you started from, just looking for a change. Theres nothing like driving off-road threw the desert for 6 hours and then go out for dinner in a different town you started from.

Bradshaw trail -sounds- fun, but its a grated dirt road. I ran it both directions in an afternoon when my rig was still stock.

Mojave Road is a really pretty run, and offers some fun playspots if you go looking for them. I run it at least once a year and haven't run out of new things to see.

cal said:
Bradshaw trail -sounds- fun, but its a grated dirt road. I ran it both directions in an afternoon when my rig was still stock.

Now that you've put a lot of work into your rig, you would probably find it more of a challange! :looney:

bburge

I can put a trip together AFTER... TDS out on the Bradshaw (no wheel'n) or out east of Indio with some wheel'n on Sat. and a mine, cool cyn. and back out to the freeway on Sun.
Could be a 2.5 day if y'all wanted to stretch it out and meet earlier say mid. day on Fri. play a little then camp on Fri. night also.
I'm just busy till TDS and the XJ needs some luv so time is short.
Late March out here is NICE and if we get a little more rain things will be popping...

Curt

Back