• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock mounting question

thebrick

NAXJA Forum User
Yahoo!...I was able to remove the upper shock mounts (rear) without breaking a single bolt. I've heard of a lot of 'horror' stories of those bolts breaking...even on newer XJs. A couple of shots of PB Blaster with a few wacks with a hammer in between for some insurance. Plus, the I don't think the previous (lady) owner ever took it offroad and it is a Nor Cal jeep.

Anywho...question about the lower shock mount...when I took the olds one off, I failed to notice the orientation of the washer and nut. The washers that came off weren't completely flat...seem to have a slight bevel to them.

Also, the nut wasn't a regular nut either...one side was 'rounded' almost like a lug nut.

The question what should the orientation of the 'not so flat washer' and 'lugnut like' mounting nut be? Right now I have the washer bevel side out (curve outward part facing away from shock) and the flat part of the nut against the washer.

I hope this makes sense.

thanks.

Before it moves... The nuts are meant to go with the tapered end out. The washers may just be distorted. I'd replace them, but otherwise put them back convex and let the shock push the edges out again if it wants to.

Can't help ya with moving the post but I can tell you it sounds to me like you got it reinstalled correctly. :eeks1:

Thanks guys...and sorry for posting on the wrong section.

I looked in the FAQ and user functions...couldn't find a 'move' or even a 'delete' function for post...at least on my account.

thebrick.

Back