• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

camber way off after 6 inch lift.

bhorocks

NAXJA Forum User
anyone put 6 inches of lift keeping the stock tierod steering setup have their camber way off??? the bottom of the tires are pointing in and causing all kinds of issues.

i know i can get adjustable ball joints but hoping the steering setup is what is causing the issue.

would my castor being to far negative cause this??

6" for 6+ years,stock steering.Your castor is off!Camber doesnt change,unless you bent something or have bad ball joints!

i thought it might be the castor but it is also a new front axle from 2wd to 4wd. I bet i measured wrong.. going to have to take a picture showing my castor measurement.

I have 8in lift on mine and I have stock steering with no issues, That doesnt seem to be the problem, as mentioned could be balljoints or I have had that issue with worn out hubs in the past

castor does not wear tires. lifting the jeep that much with factory steering and not re-adjusting toe will cause the front tires to toe-in in the front alot, and it will make it appear that the camber is off.

when the tires turn the wheels will tilt in or out depending on which side. for example if you turn left, your left tire leans out at the top, and your right tire leans in. so if you lift your pitman arm away from your tierod ends(lift kit) it pulls the front edge's of both tire together and causes both tires to lean inwards.

98XJeep said:
when the tires turn the wheels will tilt in or out depending on which side. for example if you turn left, your left tire leans out at the top, and your right tire leans in. so if you lift your pitman arm away from your tierod ends(lift kit) it pulls the front edge's of both tire together and causes both tires to lean inwards.

sounds completly logical to me. I'll check my toe-in tomorrow more closely and see if it is way off. When i jack my jeep up though the tires pop back to where they should be though which is strange..

looks like i screwed up on my caster. I adjusted negative caster instead of positive. DOH!

ether way i would like to upgrade my steering setup and that is the price point i would like to get into.

thanks for the link!

Its a good steering setup. You can run it over the knuckle too, but thats a lot more work (requires changing your trackbar, swaybar links, etc).

The ends that it uses are standard GM type parts, so you can buy them at any napa/autozone/etc. It gives it a good plus over other steering setups.

bhorocks said:
Toe is not going to affect the camber that I am aware of I'll submit my pic when I get home showing the issue

normally it doesn't, but it can. If the lift installantion did not compensate for the fact that the axle rotates forward as you lower it from the chassis toe changes will also affect camber.

as an exaggerated example, imagine what would happen if you first rotated the axle so that what was previsouly the front of the axled faced directly down (ie, excessive neg. castor). now imagine what would happen if you made toe changes to such a setup. in this case, because of the rotation of the axle, what WAS toe is now camber.

The first step is to fix your castor.

Last edited:
that was my conclusion as well. i used a negative caster and from what i have been told it should be positive 5-7 degrees. so basically i went 10 degrees the wrong way.

oops

bhorocks said:
that was my conclusion as well. i used a negative caster and from what i have been told it should be positive 5-7 degrees. so basically i went 10 degrees the wrong way.

oops

Haha. yup! That'll do it.

Oh well, you caught the error and that's always a good thing. :)

i swear i cant win.... adjustable uppers.. superflex fixed lowers, 4 degrees castor checked my toe in.

got rid of the camber/caster issue.. now dw.

Checked trackbar.

could my superflex lower joints cause this is they were worn out????

uppers are brand new.

wishing i had not bought them. if i have to buy adjustable lowers i should have just bought RK long arm upgrade!

Back