• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How about this one

dspilot

NAXJA Forum User
I found an 86 XJ pioneer with the v6 for 300 dollars. I am not sure of the mileage, but the owner says it needs to be rebuilt. I know there were significant changes after 86, but that there were some good aspects. I have not actually talked to the guy yet, my brother in law found it. He is gonna send me some pics and the guys number shortly. My main question is: Is an '86 worth my time in a buildup? It is 4wd too.

Should I pursue it?

TIA

300 for a xj body is alot, I think. No engine and you probably dont what to rebuit a V6. You can find running one with a L6 for less than a 1G.

I'd pass, nothing personal towards the 84-86 but I would hold out for a 87 up 4.0, AW4.

You can swap another chevy v-6 in(3.0 maybe) but it still has a weak tranny.

if its a 5 speed it has 4:10 gears might be worth it and you would have an extra shell,seats,etc. but to rebiuld no it's a pile.if you have room why not extra parts are always good but you could get lucky and wait for the 87 and later for cheap. use your best judgement.

if its a decent rig otherwise and you dont mind wrenching, i'd try to get it cheaper and look into a GM 3.1 or 3.4L swap from a rear-wheel drive camaro or S10.. matter of fact GM has a 3.4L crate engine specifically for a 2.8 application.. dont do it if you arent comfortable with the amount of wrencing or if there is anything you dont like about the rig, and DONT expect it to have any real increase in resale value..

Back