• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cant pull out dana 30 pass side inner shaft!

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
disco dana 30
outer pass came out fine, driver side came out fine, why wouldnt the pass inner come right out? is there any tricks of the trade out there that im missing? i usually use a 3ft crow bar and tow strap. i have tried prying on it with a 3 ft crow bar from behind, coming back past the lca.
the rear semi floating 35 shafts came off fine,
ive tried wrapping a tow strap around the end of the pass inner shaft and then using the crow bar for leverage and still no love
any ideas?
i

There is a c-clip holding the inner shaft in. Look at the carrier end of the shaft..

only a c clip on the pass side though? there wasnt a c clip on the other side, and i didnt see any clips on the pass side

The C-clip is there to stop the inner shaft from moving when the disconnect disconnects and connects.

sweet, i thanks for the advice. whats the best way to pull the c clip out anyway?

I don't remember. I had to deal with it when we geared my first dana 30 a couple years ago, but I was upgrading to solid shafts at the same time so it was a 'done and forgotten' thing.

I might not have remembered the c-clip was there until I read this.

cool, ill just search around when i get off work tonight, thanks for the advice !!!

blondejoncherokee said:
sweet, i thanks for the advice. whats the best way to pull the c clip out anyway?
push the shaft in pull the clip out then pull the shaft out

plyers might help but you might not even need them

No, they don't. The c-clip is just there to keep the inner shaft from moving while the disco shifts.

it has a lockright up front, i dont see the c clip right away, is it inside the carrier with the locker?

Remove the center pin.

Reach in through the disconnect housing, and push the inner shaft "in". That exposes the c-clip.

cant get the center pin out since the ring gear is in the way,

You will need to grind the ring gear,1 possibly 2 teeth.Makes you wonder how they got it installed?

I've only seen the ring gear in the way on 8.25's, never on the 30. Wow.

As was said, if it went in, it has to come out. Try taking it out the other side?

crap, this was weird, so no access to the c clip at all on this thing right...
so i start pulling the ring gear off while in the carrier, 2 bolts at a time, 2wd to turn it to the next two bolts, 4wd to wrench, after that i hamemred the ring gear as far as i could to the side, (after pulling the springs out) with the ring gear about 1.5 inches or so to the right, i had access to the c clip, but it was still a bitch to get out even then, so im wondering , did they have to bolt the ring gear on after installing the carrier? that was my only way to the pass shaft out, and it sucked, good news is, is that the peeps at pic n pull didnt know what it was, i told them it was a "spider gear replacement spacer" and they gave it to me for free. so a free lockright after a a few days of wrenchin in the mud aint too bad...

so basically the c clip was in between the two left peices of the locker, only accessible by pulling the springs, then the ring gear, then holding the small opening with a flat head while i poked at it with my smallest punch until finally i got it,
im a little afraid to install it in my heep now after thrashing the donor ...

Yeah something is up there. You need the ring gear bolted on to setup the front gears, and you need the gears setup before you put the shafts in

*shrug*

Good score on the locker.

Or go one upgrade further and put in solid shafts, getting rid of the disconnect.

If you do insist on keeping the disconnect shafts, find shafts from a 1995 YJ, they keep the disco but let you use larger 760 u-joints.

Back