• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advise on RE 3.5 lift

bigjeff

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished installing a RE 3.5" AAL lift in my wifes jeep. I took it out for a drive and of course the rear driveshaft vibrates at all speeds and it binds at slow speeds. I picked up a 1" RE t-case drop and some 4 degree shims. I first measured my t-case output shaft angle which i think was 12 deg. I then measred my rear diff pinion angle which was at 6 deg. I put the t-case drop in and drove it. The vibration was diminished but was still there. I took another degree measurement. I needed to bring the rear diff pinion up 3-4 degrees. I then installed the rear 4 degree shims. And yes the fat edge towards the rear of the jeep. I am now within 2 degrees of both ends being the same. It still has a minor shake and now when I put it into 4WD you can hear the front shaft growling. I also had a wheel alignment done. Looks like the next step is front and rear driveshaft U-joints. These are origional with 50,000 km on them. I heard that they wear in a certain way and if the angle is changed, it could cause a vibration. Is this true?? I dont do any kind of off roading so I am trying to avoid the Hack and tap or a full bore SYE. Any advise on other things to look out for would be appreciated. It is a 2000 4 DR Auto NP 231.

what year is the XJ?? ive had nothing but good luck running a YJ slipyoke, no drop kit and no shims in an 87 and a 90 XJ with 5" lift.. if you have the newer "exposed" tail shaft just do the H/T or SYE and get it over with. you can use a front d/shaft in the rear to cut down on cost if you want to keep it cheap.

Its a 2000.Thats another reason for not doing a TC drop,it makes the front angles worse and thats really bad with a LP D30!

Probably gonna have to get into the RE H&T. Its really not that bad to do. Takes an afternoon at best. Just take your time cutting and especially tapping the output shaft.

Back